Monday, December 04, 2023

Still More Music Boxes

OK, I think I've finally found a new one to share with you. Took a while for me to remember the title of this one, though I knew I had it tucked away somewhere. There's not much I can say about these old albums, though I will point out that the music boxes recorded in them are not the same as the little toy you had as a kid. These are elaborate machines that could play different sounds, different melodies and in some case even additional instruments. So don't write 'em off so easily. This is Wishing You An Old Fashioned Christmas (Golden Crest CR 4006, Mono, 1960).

1. 15" Regina Music Box-Adeste Fideles
2. 15" Regina Music Box-Jingle Bells
3. 15" Regina Music Box-Ave Maria
4. 15" Regina Music Box-Hark The Herald Angels Sing
5. 15" Regina Music Box-The First Noel
6. 15" Regina Music Box-Silent Night
7. The Mills Violino-We Three Kings Of The Orient Are
8. The Mills Violino-O Little Town Of Bethlehem
9. The Mills Violino-O Tannenbaum
10. The Mills Violino-It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
11. The Mills Violino-Good King Wenceslas
12. The Mills Violino-While Shepherds Watch Their Flock By Night
13. The Mills Violino-Deck The Halls

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. I've heard some of those elaborate music boxes in person. Very impressive!

    Why did these labels from the 50s have a "Laboratory Series"? Did their engineers wore white lab coats or something? Westminster had one, I think Cook may have had something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look cool, too, but I think recorded music was a nail in their coffin...

      Every label needs to try to do something to outfox the others and draw in the customers. A gold seal is as good as anything. They probably advertised those lines around the label as a free bonus speed check (given the appropriate light source, available separately!).

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I bet you're right about the speed check idea.

      Golden Crest made a lot of recordings of chamber music.

      Delete
    3. And they were around for a long time, at least into the 80's. One of the Galliard Brass LPs was on Golden Crest from 80 or 81. I was surprised they lasted that long.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...