Thursday, December 07, 2023

7" Special-Part 4

You're certainly getting your money's worth around here today, what with all the regular posts and then these special 7" records interspersed among them. Be sure to leave me a comment if you're enjoying all the downloads, that's what keeps me going some days. What have I got next for you? How about the 1957 Christmas Seal song? It turns out to not be a particularly Christmassy song, but you do get introductions to it by both the artist and three of his labelmates, so it's a fun record. This is If I Can Help Somebody-Sung By Billy Eckstine-The Official 1957 Christmas Seal Song (Mercury 7" 45 RPM MEP-34 Not To Be Sold, Mono, 1957). Yes, there are four identical recordings of the same song here, but I'm just bringing you everything that was on the vinyl. If you want to save some space, delete three of them, I won't mind.

1. Billy Eckstine-Billy Eckstine's Christmas Seal Message
2. Billy Eckstine With Bobby Tucker & His Orchestra-If I Can Help Somebody
3. Sarah Vaughan-Sarah Vaughan Introducing Billy Eckstine
4. Billy Eckstine With Bobby Tucker & His Orchestra-If I Can Help Somebody
5. Patti Page-Patti Page Introducing Billy Eckstine
6. Billy Eckstine With Bobby Tucker & His Orchestra-If I Can Help Somebody
7. David Carroll-David Carroll Introducing Billy Eckstine
8. Billy Eckstine With Bobby Tucker & His Orchestra-If I Can Help Somebody

MEGA

Note-I updated the share on 8 Dec 2023 to correct the spelling of Sarah Vaughan's name. It's wrong on the cover but correct on the label. I must have copied it from the cover the first time around. Not a big change, but it was wrong.

10 comments:

  1. Oooo - I love this one! I don't think I've ever heard this Christmas Seals song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded this one, for the song (believe it or not), just to see if it was the one I thought it was and shawnuff, it is. First place (I believe) I heard this particular song, was a very early album from The LeFevres, on the Sing label, from (I believe) 1959. If memory serves me correctly as well, it mentions about it being the CS song for '57 and maybe even who wrote it. Didn't Red Foley (sp) record it, too?

    Romans 11:33-36 KJB

    Josh

    Church Podcast: https://www.sermonaudio.com/pleasantviewky
    Personal Podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/show/back-to-the-old-paths
    TIBPF Podcast: https://www.tibpf.sermon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I don't think I've heard the song elsewhere, and not at all before finding this record! Dunno about Red Foley, but maybe.

      Delete
  3. By far one of the best rips you have shared with us this year! Mr. B is superb is on this cut; one of the truly forgotten gems in his great and extensive discography. Thanks for sharing! The intros are great as well. By the way, it's Vaughan, not Vaughn when it comes to spelling Sassy's last name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I see they got it right on the label, wrong on the cover. And I probably copied the cover. It's tough to be a Christmas blogger sometimes.

      I was pretty excited to find this. I'd love to put together a collection of Christmas Seal songs with all the intros. That's a long-term goal.

      Delete
  4. Ernie, You amaze me every time... It is weird have the song repeated, but again it was intended to be used over the radio - correct? Anyways, very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the repetitions are there because each intro & song were a single band on the record and meant to be played together. I cut it up because I didn't want to have to listen to it that way. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...