Sunday, August 27, 2017

Volume Eight-Ten Years On

For the first time in a while, here's another installment in my refurbished shares of the old For Hi-Fi Living series.  I had a lot of fun doing Christmas in July, but now it's time to get back into this series and try to finish it before Christmas.  We're up to volume 8 now, our first from Malcolm Lockyer.  I recorded these tracks a couple months ago, so I don't really remember much about them.  I like the cover though.  The blanket always looks like a giant pair of lips to me.  Maybe that was on purpose, I don't know.  Anyhow, this is Malcolm Lockyer And His Orchestra-A Lazy Afternoon (RCA Custom RAL-1008, Mono, 1957).

1. Deep Purple
2. You Stepped Out Of A Dream
3. In A Little Spanish Town ("Twas On A Night Like This)
4. Don't Blame Me
5. Time On My Hands
6. The Wedding Of The Painted Doll
7. Let Me Love You Tonight
8. I'm Always Chasing Rainbows
9. Jeannine (I Dream Of Lilac Time)
10. At Sundown
11. I'll See You In My Dreams
12. Goodnight Sweetheart

Zippyshare

15 comments:

  1. Nice! I was hoping you would continue this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zowie!!! Thank you Ernie. I love this series of LPs. Love the covers as well as the music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just got back to my year-long project of listening to nothing but old-old christmas music (having taken a seven week hiatus to listen to ernie’s new-old christmas music), when to my surprise volume 8 of hi-fi living appeared. this series was the one exception i had given myself in trying to glean my own list of ‘best evers’ from gigabytes of goop. so once again ernie’s selections trump my project. [actually, i was in the middle of about a decade’s worth of ernie’s old best-of-christmas-in-julys, so he’s got me coming and going.] anyway, for my money, malcolm lockyer beats some of the others in this series. he does have these strange false endings on some of the tunes. i guess they beat ‘shave and a hair cut’. it’s amazing how these guys i’ve never heard of were all around me for years. i think i’ve seen four of the movies malcolm did the music for. [two of them were ratty little sci-fi’s that i didn’t see much of, being in the back seat with carella epzenweiler at some cornfield drive-in at the time.] it’s nice to rediscover him and put him in proper perspective. and carella… carella, carella. what ever became of you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for continuing this set! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's more than just a giant pair of lips, there's a giant tongue there too! It's the Rolling Stones' logo, years before there were Rolling Stones! Somebody get Mick Jagger! He'll want to see this! Or maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you and yours survived Irma without too much trauma. It was a pretty scary hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No damage here, though I did have to move thousands of Christmas records into a back closet and bathroom. Better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for continuing this great series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. where do you go to commiserate over the death of the great fats domino? ernienotbert.com , of course. and while he was not the first name in christmas music, he has a nice christmas album that would bring a smile to anyone's face. here he is singing one of my favorite versions of 'silver bells':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbgUntbmOk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this Ernie, I'm just seeing it even though I try to check in on you occasionally. I hope that you'll have time to finish re-upping the remainder of this great series. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll get back to it someday. Not too many more to go, but I just had much better things to work on for a while. And now I'm into the Christmas music for a few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://mega.nz/#!tNcFCawL!5MDDzYCYelEl8LHDZxP7NqQk5a7t8Ww8YQWSDOmL-sI

    New linkage in 2020! :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...