Friday, December 08, 2023

Ringer Redux 2x2

Coincidentally, way back in 2010, I shared that last record right before I shared this one, which also returns tonight in a spiffy new remaster. I've also recorded two different versions of this one for you, so you can compare and contrast. This album just goes to show you that the handbell music for Christmas trend goes way, way back, as this one is from 1956 and came from the audiophile label Audio Fidelity. It's in a fancy gatefold sleeve that opens from the center to show a fancy Christmas diorama. When I shared it before, I thought it was folded inside out but I didn't want to possibly break it by folding it back, but this year I went ahead and did it. So you get a different cover this time that back in 2010. Have a listen to The Berkshire Bell Ringers-Berkshire Bell Ringers (Audio Fidelity AFLP 1804, Mono, 1956)

1. O Come All Ye Faithful
2. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
3. Cantique De Noel (O Holy Night)
4. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
5. Joy To The World
6. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
7. Hark The Herald Angels Sing
8. Silent Night
9. First Noel
10. I Wonder As I Wander
11. We Three Kings
12. Carol Of The Bells
13. Rise Up Shepherds And Foller
14. Good King Wencelas (SIC)

MEGA

Oh, wait, I mentioned (and then forgot about) this reissue of what I believe is the same album in 1981. I think it's missing a track (O Little Town Of Bethlehem), and they claim it's in stereo, but I believe it's the same recordings as the record above from 1956. I went ahead and recorded it for you, so feel free to do an A/B test and let me know what you think. This is The Berkshire Bell Ringers-The Bells Of Christmas (Holiday/Audiofidelity HDY-1922, Stereo, 1981).

1. O Come All Ye Faithful
2. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
3. Cantique De Noel (O Holy Night)
4. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
5. Joy To The World
6. Hark The Herald Angels Sing
7. Silent Night
8. First Noel
9. I Wonder As I Wander
10. We Three Kings
11. Carol Of The Bells
12. Rise Up Shepherds And Follow
13. Good King Wenceslas

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. I think the second recording is stereo, although the channels may be out of phase. The opening bell on the first cut definitely comes from the left channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could there be stereo tapes from 1956 for that label? 1957 I'd buy easily, but 1956 is early.

      Delete
    2. I think they issued the first stereo LP in the US. So could be. The majors were recording in stereo as early as 1954, although not consistently.

      Delete
    3. That's true, I had forgotten that! Could be then. Neat!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...