Sunday, December 03, 2023

Harping On Christmas 8

Well, this is the end of the Christmas harp records. Eight is enough I once heard someone say. If I could find more, I'd keep going, but this was the end of the pile. I didn't even think the pile would be this big at first, I figured it would be three, maybe four records, but they just kept coming out of the woodwork. I bet there are more out there somewhere, I'm going to keep looking and eventually update this series. But for now, this is the end. I've save a good one for last, or at least not a boring one. Some of them just don't hold my attention for very long, they're meant as background music for your Christmas quiet time, but this one is a little better than that. Lots of songs on here you've never heard, I'll bet. Give it a listen and see how you like it. I'm going to drift off to sleep now after a long day of hard harp work. I wonder what I can listen to that will lull me off to sleep? This is Dorothy Remsen, Harpist-Dorothy Remsen, Harpist (Avant AV 1000, Stereo, 1967). Enjoy!

1. Variations Pastorales Sur Un Vieux Noël
2. Les Enfants À La Crêche De Noël (From Images, 2e Suite)
3. On An Old Christmas Song (Silent Night)
4. The Psalmist
5. Six Noels
6. Revery
7. Noël Provençal
8. La Bôite À Musique
9. Concert Variations On O Tannenbaum

MEGA

Before I put this project to bed, so to speak, I found a couple of harp-led albums in the archives I should link to. One of them is Robert Maxwell, the other is Dorothy Ashby. Both of them would be great additions to the harp pile. That makes ten harp records today!

7 comments:

  1. This is the LP I shared a few years ago. It's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about that. Hate to step on your toes. Your write-up is of course much better than mine. :) Hopefully mine doesn't suffer from the pressing fault you mentioned, but otherwise I'm sure your sound is better as well.

      https://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2020/11/christmas-music-with-harpist-dorothy.html

      Delete
    2. Both of your versions are unique. Buster's is in mono, while Ernie's is in stereo.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful. I could listen to this all year, really. Such an excellent selection of songs. Yes, solo harp is very non-intrusive and perfect for background music. But in a headset or alone in my studio, it becomes foreground music. I notice the sophisticated arrangements and the flawless, intricate playing. Also the sheer sound of the instrument is beautifully recorded and captured (and I'm guessing your remastering job is part of my listening enjoyment too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like my recording, try Buster's. He's better at such things than I am, probably because he spends more time listening to each one and I'm hurrying on to the next record. :)

      Delete
  3. Love all these harp records. Thank you Ernie and Buster.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...