Thursday, December 07, 2023

7" Special-Part 2

More fun for you now from one of those little 7 inch records. You'll recall that last year I shared hundreds of these little 7" records with you, that's probably why I kinda shied away from them this year. I might go back and do a bunch of them next year for you, but it takes a lot of time and effort and you don't wind up with a lot of music for your trouble. At least with albums you get ten or twelve songs at a pop. Anyhow, this one is a weird little item that I actually recorded for you last year but it somehow got lost in the shuffle and never shared. I recently found another copy of it with a different sponsor which reminded me of the original record. I tracked it down and I'm sharing it now. This is Rob Townsend And The Scot Lad Singers-The Story Of Christmas (Joe Tittle And Sons 7" 45 RPM SoN 2211/2212, Mono, 1963). The Joe Tittle version is the one I had last year, but the Gary Super Market version is something I just found last month. If you check Discogs you'll see a bunch more versions of this record. Somebody did a really good job of selling it to small stores as a promotional piece.

1. Rob Townsend And The Scot Lad Singers-The Story Of Christmas
2. The Scot Lad Singers-I Love A Christmas Song

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. Even though I cannot access your rips on this, I KNOW for a fact that this is a great 45 record. The now-defunct local supermarket in the town where my Mom grew up had a version of this record and is one of my favorites to pull out every season. It is one of the few records that come closest to taking the REAL story of Christmas and turning it into a Pop hit! It was very well done. I do think that the Scot Lad Singers is actually a pseudonym for the Anita Kerr Singers; I believe that it is them singing the great "I Love A Christmas Song" medley. Two great sides that should have gotten much wider recognition yet are personal seasonal favorites of mine that i like to play every year around this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't download the share?

      I hope my copy lives up to your memories. :)

      Delete
  2. This will likely make it onto a future mix of mine as a closer-type of song. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...