Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Down In The Valley

Does anyone really look at these late night posts? Does anyone see them in real time, staying up until two in the morning just to see what sort of Christmas album might be posted next? I suppose folks outside my time zone might appreciate such posts, but I'm not sure how many visitors we get from outside the US who might really benefit from such postings. Leave me a comment letting me know if you're from far, far away and downloading in the middle of the night, I'd love to hear from you. This is a record I found some years ago and thought it was something special. I don't know why I was so excited to find it, it's just a local civic group singing together at Christmas. The sleeve was split into two halves and the record was all scratched up. But I fixed all that just to have something to share with you right now. This is The Men Of Rose Valley-Christmas At The Old Mill (Helffrich Recording Labs HRL 1716, Mono, 1967). Now I'm ready for someone to wander by and tell us that their dad was in this group. I love it when that happens.

1. O Come, All Ye Faithful
2. The Lord's Prayer (Chanted)
3. Glory And Honor Are Before Him
4. Still, Still, Still
5. The Birthday Of A King
6. Joseph, Dear One, Joseph Mine
7. Away In A Manger
8. Caroling, Caroling
9. African Noel
10. Do You Hear What I Hear?
11. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
12. Here We Come A-Wassailing
13. The Little Drummer Boy
14. Silent Night
15. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
16. The Lord Bless You And Keep You; Sevenfold Amen

MEGA

16 comments:

  1. I'm here on the west coast seeing what you uploaded for the day. Might give a pass on this one. I have gotten to the point where I don't NEED every record. And I usually trust your comments to note when something seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad. I don't imagine there are too many people who download them all. I wish I could give a long thorough write up to everything, but I'm not much of a reviewer. I kinda hope that each record will find it's audience somehow. And the one I liked the most this year has so far received no attention whatsoever despite my best efforts, so what do I know? :)

      Delete
  2. Also on the west coast. It's a nice way to end a Dec evening seeing what you've posted today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ernie,
    If you post at 2am, it is 8am in Germany. Once I wake up at 7-7:30am, your posts are the first things I check out, then the news features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my posts are more cheerful than the news!

      Delete
    2. Your posts are more cheerful. That goes to the weather too. This year we finally have snow, at least snow that stays around more than a few moments. But, due to climate warming the weather is really messed up, is it not.

      Delete
    3. Yes, climate is pretty iffy at the moment. I recently got an electric car, hoping maybe that makes a small difference. I know I save a ton on gas. :)

      Delete
    4. Yes, EVs I think are the way to go. I personally do not drive. With public transport you can go anywhere here in Berlin. Bikes and scooters are popular too, especially bikes. Berlin, as well as other EU cities, is becoming very bike friendly. Besides, gas/petrol I have seen can cost 1.60-1.98 per liter? Not a gallon. Yikes.
      PS: I will send you both a Christmas card tomorrow, Thursday.

      Delete
    5. We're too spread out here to not have a car, but we are close enough to the grocery to walk over for groceries most of the time. My fiancee didn't have a car in NYC, but that's a horse of a different color. :)

      Delete
  4. Another west coaster doing a last refresh before headed to bed.... Good night, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine this blog being the last thing you look at before bed. It must give you horrible nightmares about bad records chasing you around in never ending circles!

      Delete
    2. Lol. Nah, in this case it gave me pleasant dreams of a snow covered old mill in PA. ;-) I looked up the spot in the cover photo above and it looks charming.

      Delete
    3. I'll have keep posting sweet dream record covers in the 10pm slot for you. :)

      Delete
  5. I was taking some meds that gave me insomnia, so I did comment in the middle of the night earlier in the season. But not this time.

    In my dreams, it's me chasing the records, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, chasing records is a dream, being chased is a nightmare! :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...