Saturday, December 03, 2022

Another Full Saturday-Part 18

I said last week I wasn't going to do this hourly thing again this week, but here I am. I must be a glutton for punishment. I'm starting to remember why it's so hard. It's not like I'm doing much of a write-up for each of these shares, and they're all really small, but it all takes time, and there are a lot of steps to bring it all together. I hope y'all are enjoying the music. And don't forget, if you use any of my stuff in your annual Christmas comp, you've got to leave me a link in the comments so I can download and listen. I love to see comps that were able to make use of some of my shares. In the meantime, here's Art Lund With The Quartones-Orchestra Conducted By LeRoy Holmes-(Sweet Angie) The Christmas Tree Angel b/w Little Toy Town Parade (MGM 7" 45 RPM K10780, Mono, 1950). I love the stuff I've heard by LeRoy Holmes, so I'm sure you'll love this single. Enjoy!

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this & also the other LeRoy Holmes links.
    Merry Christmas Ernie!
    Your Pal,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Doug. Glad you're still out there after all these years! :)

      Delete
  2. Here is one of the handful of singles that I didn't get too last year. Art Lund originally started out in the early-'40's as a singer with Benny Goodman's band; He did cut one Winter/Seasonal tune when he was with Goodman, the duet "Winter Weather", with Peggy Lee. After WWII, he launched his solo career, with his most productive period being with MGM; he had stints with Coral and Brunswick in the late-'50's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great sides, primarily for the kiddies of the late-'40's and early-'50's. With just enough of a touch of Big Band Swing to make them accessible also for adults as well. "Little Toy Town Parade" has more of a kiddie slant to it, yet it also has a strong Dixieland vibe in the instrumental break. Art gives "Sweet Angie" a nice crooner treatment that was hinted in his biggest solo hit, "Mamselle." The Quartones enhance the '40's-early-'50's Pop vibes with their Pied Pipers-styled horns. Great Big Band sound from LeRoy Holmes on the instrumental break for "Sweet Angie." Did not know he cut a solo Christmas tune until you posted this last year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeRoy had a whole album of seasonal tunes, though not strictly Christmas, in addition to that single. It's around here somewhere, lemme see if I can find it. https://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2018/12/leroy.html

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...