Monday, November 28, 2022

Friendly Family

I love to find Christmas records that are all new compositions. It's not that I don't like the classic songs, but when you've heard them so many times, you kinda ache for something a little different. Some people can fill that itch with the plethora of choices offered these days through Youtube, Spotify, Bandcamp, etc, but I like to dig through old records, so that's where I search. And this record pressed a few of my buttons with it's new songs, unknown provenance and general rarity (if I've never seen it before, it must be somewhat rare at this point). There's probably an unknown story behind this record, and I'm guessing it involves the writer of all the songs, one Julian H. Miller II, but I don't know what it is. Maybe someone will stumble by one day and fill us in on all the details. I love the sticker on the label admitting to a mastering error on the groove spacing. I'm guessing the manufacturer refused to repress all the records after the mistake was discovered, but at least they put a sticker on there. Though if you look close, the sticker appears to be put on wrong based on the way the edges are trimmed. It's little things like this that excite me these days. This is Family And Friends-Christmas Love (Graduation #1, Stereo, 1979).

1. Let's Have A Family Christmas
2. I'm Looking Forward To Christmas
3. Christmas Day
4. The Christmas Polka
5. All I Want For Christmas Is You
6. I Want A Country Christmas
7. Merry Christmas, Mother
8. Soon It Will Be Christmas
9. Some Little Children Have Nothing
10. There's More To Christmas
11. All I Want For Christmas Is Santa Claus
12. My Christmas Present To You
13. Merry Christmas In 8 Foreign Languages
14. Santa's Little Helper

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that sticker seems like overkill. I don't imagine there were that many people out there who were hunting for an individual song on this record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like many people, I used to think the space was the silence, but that's not true. It's just grooves spaced a bit differently. I'm sure you knew that already. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you stumbled across someone's vanity project rather than a song poem record, the makers of the latter would not bother to point out their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...