Friday, December 02, 2022

Afternoon Delight

This is one of the rarer records I found in the past year or so. Even fans of the band frequently don't know it exists. I wasn't sure it existed until I stumbled across a copy, though I don't remember where I found it. You might remember Starland Vocal Band for their big hit Afternoon Delight which still gets played on the radio more than you'd expect. I think Homer Simpson sings it at one point, too, so you know it's a cultural touchstone. After a few albums with no follow-on success, they ventured into the last refuge of the chart-averse and recorded a Christmas album. It must have only sold two or three copies because it's hard to find. It's also very short and not too good. If I didn't tell you who it was, you probably wouldn't find anything in common with their big hit. But it's worth a listen just so you know exactly what you've been missing all these years. This is Starland Vocal Band-Christmas At Home (Breaker Records SVB-100, Stereo, 1980).

1. O Holy Night
2. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
3. Away In A Manger
4. Angels We Have Heard On High
5. The First Noel
6. What Child Is This
7. Joy To The World
8. Here Comes Santa Claus
9. The Two Days Of Christmas
10. Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer
11. Deck The Halls
12. Jingle Bells
13. Silent Night
14. We Wish You A Merry Christmas

MEGA

7 comments:

  1. Are you sure you don't have the only copy? What an odd item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather enjoy the thought of having the only extant copy of something, but I'm sure that's not the case. I downloaded a copy from somewhere years ago, and didn't believe it was real, as I'd never seen or heard of it. Now I know better. :)

      Delete
  2. Maybe the reason the record is hard to find is because it looks as if it is on an Independent label and not Windsong, the John Denver RCA-distibuted imprint that released their infamous #1 single. It was probably only sold at their shows, which made it hard-to-find in those pre-Internet days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know where I first heard of this album! There used to be an online thing at Christmas called Twelve Days of Mellow-mas where they'd find mellow Christmas music and make fun of it. They did this whole record one year.

    https://popdose.com/the-twelfth-and-final-day-of-mellowmas/

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...