Thursday, December 20, 2018

LeRoy

Pretty excited about sharing this next one with you as I didn't think I'd ever get the chance.  I thought I had the album years ago, but when I went to record it, I pulled a different LP out of the sleeve.  And then earlier this year I found a copy. but it was mono.  I figured that was better than the nothing I had before, so I went ahead and ripped it.  Then last month I finally stumbled across a nice clean copy of the stereo record!  I rushed home and ripped it just a couple days later, and here it is for you tonight.  I don't know why I've been so excited about finding this particular record, it's not even really a Christmas album, more of a slightly seasonal offering.  Some of the songs are more in keeping with the theme than others, but they all sound really nice and I'm happy to share it with all of you.  This is The LeRoy Holmes Singers-Snowflakes And Sweethearts (United Artists UAS 6481, Stereo, 1966). Lots of smooth vocals on here, though LeRoy Holmes is usually known for his instrumental chops. I think you'll dig it!

1. Snowflakes And Sweethearts (The Snowbird Song) (From "Anya")
2. Moonlight In Vermont
3. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
4. Be Mine Tonight (Noche De Ronda)
5. The Sweetheart Tree (From "The Great Race")
6. The Sweetest Sounds (From "No Strings")
7. The Worst Darn Winter In Years
8. In Our Hideaway (From "Mr. President")
9. Button Up Your Overcoat
10. Made For Each Other (Tu Felicidad)
11. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
12. Homeward (From "Anya")

MEGA

15 comments:

  1. Good one! And, my middle name is Leroy, to add to the fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should start styling it LeRoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might have that capital R - have to check my birth certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Der Bingle - Make sure you accent the second syllable.

    Ernie - This is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite of your shares...and, fortunately, I got it a few years ago. Reminds me a lot of the Ray Conniff Singers...and of my mom...and of my childhood. Enjoy your blog so much Ernie, as much for your shares as for the commentary. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! This one excites me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It's good stuff! Thanks for visiting the archives around here. :)

      Delete
  8. Lots of great stuff on this! The group vocally has a combination of the Big 3 Pop choral directors of the '60's (Ray Conniff, Johnny Mann, and "the other" Ray Charles) yet for the most part leans more toward the Ray Charles Singers (Some of the singers in that group appear to be on this album) both vocally and musically. Very different version of "Be Mine Tonight" (aka "Noche De Ronda") from the one Andy Williams did on the flip side of "Are You Sincere?" Great period takes on "Moonlight In Vermont", "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" and "Are You Sincere?" Also like the extra beat on "The Sweetheart Tree" making it slightly more livelier than the better-remembered version from Johnny Mathis on Mercury. "Worst Darn Winter In Years" is a fun tongue-in-cheek tune for those winters when it is really really bad outside. Overall this is a great Christmas/Winter LP that you can play all year round. Thanks for sharing. Will be on the lookout for my own personal copy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good version of :"Button Up Your Overcoat.:"

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Homeward" should have been released as a single. Classic mid-'60's Easy Listening music. Great treasure trove of an album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found one of those Winter albums you were looking for. This is a good one that's flown under the radar for a long time. Best of luck with finding a copy, they don't appear to have sold too many of them back in the day.

      Delete
    2. I heartily agree. It is a good album. Really enjoyed listening to it. Thanks.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...