Thursday, December 16, 2021

More Christmas With Leroy

If you dig into the catalog of many older artists, you'll find plenty of things you didn't know existed. In the old days, you had to have a shelf full of books from Billboard by Joel Whitburn or Tim Neely or other such authors (and I still have shelves full of such books, though it's rare I consult them anymore). But these days you have the power of the internet and websites like Discogs or 45Cat. With such sites, you can find an artist you're curious about and scan through large chunks of their discography, searching for keywords like Christmas or Santa. Sometimes something interesting pops up that you didn't know existed. This is just such a record from Leroy Holmes. I spent a few years trying to find his winter-themed album, but I was finally able to share it with you a few years back. But neither of the tracks from this 7" record feature on that album, so it's like having bonus tracks! I think you'll really enjoy these additions to his back catalog of Christmas music. This is Leroy Holmes And His Orchestra And Chorus-The Little Bell (That Just Went Ding) b/w Song Of December (MGM 7" 45 RPM K12128, Mono, 1955).

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! Although I still prefer the books (I just wish Tim Neely could get an update published).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like those bonus tracks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stubby-I love his book (it's by my bed right now for immediate reference), but I like that an online version can be kept up to date, corrected and expanded at will. Is a lot of the book entries missing from Discogs? Yes, but there is a lot of stuff there that isn't in the book. Is some of it not correctly entered at Discogs? Yes, but I can click a link and frequently buy it when I find it. I wish there were a better way to browse through Discogs and find unknown stuff though...

    Buster-I live for the bonus tracks, you know that!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...