Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Christmas With The Gipper

Not too long ago, I came across this LP in a record store halfway across the state. It was still sealed, and I knew I had to grab it. I'd never seen a copy before, but I knew of the LP from a post many years ago over at the blog of my friend CaptOT. You may have downloaded it way back then as I did, or you may have missed it. I was doubly excited to find that this was a stereo copy, and his old share was mono. I hope you'll agree with me that this share was worth the wait. Just in case you don't recognize the name, Pat O'Brien was a well known actor of the 30's, 40's and even the 50's. (Don't confuse him with the modern sportscaster, it's not the same guy.) The record itself is full of warbled carols, Christmas stories and poems with perhaps only a tenuous connection to Christmas. But it's the sort of record I enjoy, and I hope you will, too. This is Pat O'Brien-A Quiet Christmas (Well, Reasonably Quiet, Anyway) With Pat O'Brien (RIC ST 1009, Stereo, 1964).

1. Jingle Bells
2. Christmas Is For Children (Intro)
3. What Is A Boy?
4. What Is A Girl?
5. Silent Night, Holy Night
6. Four Nick Kenny Poems: Spring Prayer; The Extra Prayer; The Christmas Stable; Christmas
7. Adeste Fidelis (Come All Ye Faithful)
8. Three Edgar Guest Poems: The Christmas Gift For Mother; Christmas Day; A Christmas Bit
9. The Lord's Prayer
10. The Little Drummer Boy
11. The House With Nobody In It
12. Little Town Of Bethlehem
13. The Gift Of The Magi

MEGA

8 comments:

  1. A little luck o' the Irish, have yeh now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good one - name value (at least to oldsters like me), stereo, unusual. I can appreciate your getting excited when you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just never know what you're going to find, or where. I hadn't planned to hit this record store because they didn't have any Christmas one other year I visited. Boy, would that have been a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a copy of this record a few weeks ago. Never heard of Pat O'Brien but I've learned to never pass on an xmas record I've never heard of. Looking forward to listening to your rip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must have had pretty poor distribution. But then I just assume everything I never come across had poor distribution. Otherwise, I'd have found it long ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I snagged this download from CaptOT years ago. I was FB friends with Mr. O'Brien's daughter, and she had fond memories of her Dad's unique story-telling ability. She sadly passed (from COVID, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy howdy, am I looking forward to this one ;-) - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good record, and I'm sure a treasured artifact for his family.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...