Friday, December 15, 2023

Willys (Not Jeep)

This one is from really far away but I'm glad it made it's way to me so I can share it with you. And I found myself enjoying it when it popped up in my Christmas playlist. This record came all the way from Brazil which means it's sung in Portuguese (I think Brazil is the only country in South America that doesn't speak Spanish, not everybody knows that.) And as a cherry on the cake, the group is a bunch of employees from the local Willys auto plant. I don't know the whole history here, but in the US the Willys brand is associated with the early Jeep from when it was still a military vehicle only. I know a friend of my dad's had an old one in his barn when I was growing up, one that was later made for civilian use, and it looked about halfway between a regular car of the early fifties and a Jeep. I think the marque continued on overseas much longer than it did here in the US, maybe associated with Ford for a while? I should do some more research, but this is all pretty far afield from Christmas music and that's my focus this time of year. Bottom line, it's a corporate chorus, and good one at that. I think you'll really enjoy this one (and some great artwork doesn't hurt, be sure to take a look at the flip side in the download). This is Coral Willys Com Orquestra RGE, Direcao Do Coral Maestro Zuinglio Faustini-Boas Festas (RCA Electronica Brasileira S.A. (Brazil) for Willys NAC-1.223, Mono).

1. Alegria De Natal
2. Boas Festas
3. Ave Maria De Somma
4. Valsa De Natal
5. Noite De Рaz
6. Gloria In Excelsis
7. Marсha Da Quarta-Feira De Сinzas
8. Estrela Do Mar
9. Marcha Do Amor Sem Esperança
10. Ranсho Dos Namoradas
11. Estão Voltando As Flores
12. Pastorinhas

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. Just a guess, but I'd say that Willys in the barn was likely a Jeepster, a model VJ. Be careful, investigating the Willys/Jeep world can lead down a deep but somewhat esoteric rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. And knowing him, it's probably still right there where I last saw it 35 years ago...

      Delete
  2. There's a gold mine there, if so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's got lots of stuff like that laying around. :)

      Delete
  3. Apparently Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana don't speak Spanish either but rather English, Dutch, and French respectively.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...