Tuesday, December 12, 2023

12" On The 12th-Part 1

Similarly to what I did on the 7th with 7" records and on the 10th with 10" records, I'm going to share a few Christmas 12" records. You're probably thinking that most of the records I've shared this season have been 12" in diameter, and that's true, but that's not what I'm sharing here. These are 12" records that only feature a song or two, sort of really big singles. Because there's not a lot of music being squeezed onto them, they can be cut with a wider, deeper groove that can make the music sound a little bit better when played loud in a club. That's not to say that these are club records, but that's sort of where they come from originally. I'm gonna start with The Ballroom Orchestra-Swinging Christmas With The Ballroom Orchestra (Star (Canada) 12" 45 RPM STX 106, Stereo, 1983). This is what they thought swing music was supposed to sound like in 1983, I guess. Enjoy!

1. Swinging Christmas-Vocal Version (Jingle Bells; Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer; Sleigh Ride; Let It Snow; We Wish You A Merry Christmas; White Christmas; Silver Bells; First Noel; Here Comes Santa Claus; Santa Claus Is Coming To Town; We Wish You A Merry Christmas)
2. Swinging Christmas-Instrumental Version (Jingle Bells; Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer; Sleigh Ride; Let It Snow; We Wish You A Merry Christmas; White Christmas; Silver Bells; First Noel; Here Comes Santa Claus; Santa Claus Is Coming To Town; We Wish You A Merry Christmas)

MEGA

15 comments:

  1. From a deep corner of the "Hooked On..." wing of the "Stars On 45" Medley Museum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing this is the same Roger Pilon who did the awesome Noel A-Go-Go.

    https://www.discogs.com/release/8471608-Roger-Pilon-No%C3%ABl-%C3%80-Gogo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, but you aren't going to mistake one for the other. :)

      Delete
  3. Gee, I hated "Hooked on Swing." Doing that to Christmas music shouldn't be allowed. Then again, everyone but the Singing Termites have had a shot at the genre, and for all I know you have one of their records cued up next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooked on Swing seemed like a good idea at the time...

    Singing Termites, eh? That gives me an idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear the song stylings of the Singing Termites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ernie, very interesting record. I really enjoyed it in a way, and worth listening too. But personally, I prefer listening to all the classic Big Bands my father listened to on the radio when I was a kid in the early 80s in our garage on Saturday mornings or in his car. There was an AM radio station devoted to this genre.
    Hooked-On??? Stars On 45???; I will have to Bing this someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time, all those old classic big band swing tracks were hard to find and the sound was pretty poor when you did find them. So people played it the way they thought it should sound, but in a modern style. This was all we had and we had to enjoy it!

      And yes, look up Hooked on Swing and Stars on 45. Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I checked out Hooked on Classics. It activated my HDHD, so I clicked it off. All classical music does.
      I checked out Hooked on Swing. It cannot compare to the originals that my father introduced to me in the 1980s when I was very small.
      I even checked out Stars on 45. I prefer the original individual songs. Very strange, I read this group was a Dutch group. I have always heard; European music did not have a chance in the American market. Go figure.

      Delete
    3. Stranger things have topped the charts...

      Delete
  7. Oh, heavens forbid...
    If there were a group called the Singing Termites, would they sound like The Chipmunks? I pass...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chipmunks, Turtles, Crickets, Beatles, there were lots of small critter/insect groups at the time, though they didn't all have Chipmunk voices.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...