Sunday, December 10, 2023

The Ten Inchers Of Christmas-Part VII

This next 10" record comes from the same small city outside Chicago as the last one, it's just from a year later. Not sure if I found the two of them together, but most likely I did. If there was anyone left in town that didn't get their name on that last record, then they're probably listed on the back of this one. Unfortunately, because this record was pressed on shellac instead of vinyl, there was a crack in this one that went from the outside edge all the way to the label.  Every time it went around I got a loud click, and frequently a skip. I used an older needle of mine that's not as sensitive to the fluctuations of the groove (and in theory can stand up to more abuse), but it still clicked and skipped. I eventually had to put tape on either side of the track I wanted to try and make the crack as flat as possible, and after several hours of trying, I got a good rip for you. You might still hear the clicks every 0.77 seconds, but I think I got all the skips out of there. I may have had to try playing this one at different speeds and backwards, I don't remember now. It was such an unpleasant experience that I've tried to block the memory of it all. I know it was several attempts separated by months. Anyhow, you might not even notice but I wanted you to know how far I go sometimes to share these things with you. This is Western Springs Sings Christmas-1960 (Galewood Records for Western Springs Savings And Loan Association 10" 33 RPM Shellac, No Number, Mono, 1960).

1. Kindergarten, Laidlaw School-Mrs. L. Frederick, Instructor-Jingle Bells
2. Third And Fourth Grades, Grand Avenue School-Brabara Crain, Director-Mrs. L. Georges And Mrs. M. Ulrich, Instructors-What Child Is This?
3. Community Church Of The Highlands-Dorothy Luedtke, Director-Maude Knopf, Accompanist-What Child Is This?
4. The Junior Choir Of Grace Lutheran Church-Harold P. Wukasch, Director And Accompanist-O Holy Night
5. All Saints Episcopal Choir-Miles Snyder, Director-To Us Is Born Emmanuel
6. Western Springs Music Club Ensemble-Medley From Messiah
7. Presbyterian Church Of Western Springs Choir-Joanne Teninga, Director-O Come, O Come Emmanuel
8. Western Springs Christian Reformed Church Choir-Reverend Arthur H. DeKruyter, Director-Emaline Van Farowe, Accompanist-Silent Night
9. Eighth Grade Chorus, McClure School-John Sutko, Director-Gwen Boyer, Accomopanist-Carol Of The Drum
10. First Grades, Forest Hills School-Barbara Crain, Director-Mrs. D. Duffy And Mrs. M. White, Instructors-Sleep Little Baby Jesus
11. Fourth, Fifth And Sixth Grades, Field Park School-Barbara Crain, Director-Mrs. I. McCarthy, Mrs. C. Ioas And Mr. E. Johnson, Instructors-March Of The Three Kings
12. Martha Myers, Soloist-Nina Bell Hull, Accompanist-He Shall Feed His Flock
13. Lyons Townshop High School Combined Choruses And Orchestra-Fred D. Lawler, Donald L. Miller And Judith Riemenschneider, Directors-Hallelujah Chorus (Messiah)

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ernie, I have not even downloaded this yet, but to go to all this trouble, you really are a wonderful person. I will say it now, just in case you do not hear it soon... Merry Christmas to both Meredith and yourself and all those that are important to you. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! :)

      Delete
  2. I hope the people of Western Springs appreciate your efforts to memorialize their singing.

    I do hate it when records skip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone from there pops in and says hi at some point, but I'm afraid there may not be too many of them left...

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...