Monday, December 11, 2023

Day To Night

Almost forgot to give you a remaster today! I'm bringing this new rip out to replace a mono version that I first shared back at the very dawn of time (2005!). I'm still not overjoyed with the sound, but sometimes you just have to take what you can get. This was from a pretty nice stereo copy, but I don't think this budget label used the very cleanest vinyl or had the best stamping practices. So sometimes you get what you pay for, and this record was not very expensive, either new or when I bought it at Goodwill. Anyhow, let's revisit Jack Benny's favorite caroler, Dennis Day-Christmas Is For The Family (Stereo Spectrum (Design) SS XS1, Stereo, 1958). Note that I've given you a correct cover this time. All those years ago, I thought it would be cute to photoshop together a stereo version with it's cool banner across the top with a mono copy to give you the Jack "Santa" Benny bit at the bottom. I've seen that scan pop up across the web since I did that, and I've regretted it ever since. This image is accurate down to the Compatible Fidelity sticker at lower left. The color may be off a bit since I don't think my monitor is properly calibrated, but it's close. Enjoy!

1. I'm Ready, Dennis-Featuring Jack Benny
2. Jingle Bells
3. White Christmas
4. May Santa Fill Our Hearts
5. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
6. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
7. Christmas Is For The Family
8. Not Yet Mr. Benny-Featuring Jack Benny
9. Silent Night
10. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
11. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
12. Oh Holy Night
13. Away In A Manger
14. Oh, Come All Ye Faithful; The First Noel; God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
15. Is It My Turn Now?-Featuring Jack Benny

MEGA

10 comments:

  1. Ernie,
    I had this one, as a kid. No, I ain't that old, but, when I was a kid (say, like, back in the mid-'80s), one of our regional paint-burners (strong radio stations) played a couple cuts from this on Saturday afternoon on their weekly Jazz (is that how ya spell it) shows. The following week, I called one of our local collectable record stores (which I knew pretty well), inquired about it and lo and behold, they had it, we went and got it, I'm here to done tell ya! If I remember correctly, the cover had some very strong type of lines at the bottom of the front, side one's label was very rough and side two's label was so smooth in contrast, that you wouldn't think it was there. Thanks for the memories and share and if we don't talk before then, Merry Christmas, praying for y'all.

    Romans 11:33-36 KJB

    Josh

    Church Podcast: https://www.sermonaudio.com/pleasantviewky
    Personal Podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/show/back-to-the-old-paths
    TIBPF Podcast: https://www.tibpf.sermon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's been reissued umpteen times, sometimes with that cover and often without. I'm sure I've not seen them all by any stretch.

      Delete
  2. I can't listen to this one without thinking of The Happy Crickets' version of "Christmas Is For The Family". It cracks me up every time I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, don't remind me about that the Happy Crickets. That's one of my oldest shares that I need to redo, but I don't want to have to listen to it ever again. :(

      Delete
  3. So glad that you have this album remastered and back up on the blog! It's one of my favorites to pull out every season. Also like that you gave the mini Jack and Dennis comedy bits their own separate cut. The title cut, "Jingle Bells", and "O Holy Night" are among my favorites on this record. Keep hunting: in the mid-'60's, Design reissued and re-titled this album as White Christmas, with a cover model replacing the original, and with "Let Santa Fill Our Hearts" deleted. However, the vinyl quality of that record should be a lot better than what you have posted here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got several other issues of this but I always prefer to go back to an original issue if I have it. And I have always loved those little Jack Benny bits. Used them on the first comp of Christmas music I ever made, on tape no less. :)

      Delete
  4. The color balance on the cover looks fine to me, although Dennis may have had a bit too much eggnog.

    Strangely enough, even though I like Day's voice, have many of his records, and have seen this LP many, many times, I don't think I've ever heard it. So now I will indulge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ernie!
    I'm enjoying this one.

    Your pal,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Doug! Good to know you're still around. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...