Sunday, December 10, 2023

The Ten Inchers Of Christmas-Part XIII

Almost midnight and time for one last 10" record for the day, luck number 13! But first, I want to give a shout-out to my buddy Buster and his blog where he specializes in these 10" records. He doesn't share them exclusively, but he does share more of them than most. If you are interested in more of these mid-sized records, stop by his place sometime. OK, last record of the day and it's a remaster of a record from 2011. One odd thing about this record is that I have a copy where the record slides out to the left instead of the right. They aren't all like that because I have another normal copy with the opening on the correct side. Who knows how these things happen. I think I also have a version on two 7" records in a gatefold sleeve, but it may be missing a couple of tracks. (You'll note the tracklisting on the cover here is incomplete, I suspect it was just copied over from an abridged 7" version in a box.) This is also one of the more beautiful covers I will have for you this season. I love that mid-century aesthetic. This is The Starlighters Chorus-Carols For Christmas (Capitol 10" 33 RPM H9007, Mono, 1949)

1. Joy To The World
2. Deck The Halls
3. The First Nowell (The First Noel)
4. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
5. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
6. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
7. O Come All Ye Faithful
8. Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
9. Gather Around The Christmas Tree
10. Silent Night

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug, buddy! I agree that this is a great cover - really lovely.

    It seems to me that I have at least one other 10-incher with a left-hand opening. Also some with top openings. And some with flaps as well. (No bottom openings.) Things were not as standardized when the LP format began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have a whole day of 10" records without mentioning your blog that features the year 'round! :)

      One of the other 10" records I shared had a flap, maybe the Appropriate music one? Lots of things were floating around in the early days I guess. :)

      Delete
  2. The only two songs I was able to access were "Deck the Halls" and "Silent Night" because of compressed folder issues, I can tell you for a fact that this is a different group and NOT the chipper background vocal group that appeared on Jo Stafford's records throughout the 1950's. This sounds like more traditional choral stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If what I suspect is happening, you may need to try extracting this into a folder with a shorter name, something like c:\xyz\. Not that there are any particularly long filenames in this one, but it happens. Try it and see if that helps.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...