Saturday, December 16, 2023

Anita 1

I know this is a record from someone with a lot of baggage, but I'm just presenting it for the music and for the time she spent on the stage with Bob Hope as he toured for the troops over all those Christmases past. Her name pops up again and again in his book about those Christmas shows, so I thought it would be nice to give a listen to one of the artists who shared the stage with him. There's some good stuff here if you can look past her hateful politics. This is Anita Bryant-Do You Hear What I Hear?-Christmas With Anita Bryant (Columbia CS 9520, Stereo, 1967). This was later reissued with a modified cover and an abridged track list on Columbia's budget label Harmony. I've included scans of that one in the package for you.

1. Do You Hear What I Hear?
2. In A Humble Place
3. The First Noel
4. Mary's Lullaby (Sleep Baby, Sleep)
5. The Story Of Christmas
6. Silent Night, Holy Night
7. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
8. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
9. O Holy Night
10. O Come All Ye Faithful
11. Away In A Manger

MEGA

13 comments:

  1. Anita Bryant had a beautiful voice. Even if there was a lot of "baggage", I'm so glad that you included her. Thanks, Ernie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few artists who have gathered up similar baggage over the years. I think we can still appreciate the music while acknowledging the person isn't the best.

      Delete
  2. Yes, thanks for the upload, especially the second. As for the "hate," I suppose you can call it that when someone speaks their beliefs and convictions when they don't align with your own. As for Anita, I know of those who found freedom through her message. She was hated because few wanted to listen, not because she spoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to have a conversation when others don't have the voice to speak, I think.

      Delete
    2. Totally surprised to find out that you posted BOTH Anita Bryant Christmas albums! I am still looking for copies of both of these albums. Her version of "In A Humble Place" is better than the one Jim Nabors recorded on his first Christmas album the same year this one came out. Mary's Lullaby is a real good one as well. She is still a great singer.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for posting these albums, Ernie. I've only heard/owned one of these cuts over the years (from an early Christmas CD compilation), glad to get all of them. I've only also heard of her political views sparingly (back during my college days and now, today) and from what I gather, I agree with her and one of your previous commenters. IMHO, some of the most intolerant people, are the ones who call for tolerance. They just can't stand someone who's views don't line up with their own, so they say the person is speaking hate.

      Romans 11:33-36 KJB

      Josh

      Church Podcast: https://www.sermonaudio.com/pleasantviewky
      Personal Podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/show/back-to-the-old-paths
      TIBPF Podcast: https://www.tibpf.sermon.net

      Delete
    4. I don't know the details and I don't want to know...

      Delete
  3. This could be one of the few versions of "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" that features some verses that weren't sung in other versions. Really good album. Like what I have heard so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have every reason to despise Anita, but she did have a great voice (though often saddled with bad arrangements IMO). I loved her association with the Orange Bird and the Florida Citrus people. I have both of these Christmas albums and most of her other stuff. Ernie, if you ever find a good stereo copy of her "ABC Stories of Jesus" please post it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of that one somewhere, I believe I put the Christmas-related tracks out during Christmas in July one year. I never recorded the whole thing though.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...