Thursday, December 08, 2022

Glory Hallelujah

As a frequent crate digger, I see a lot of records. Enough records that I tend to be able to pick up patterns. And one of those patterns is a popular label. One such label is called Musical Heritage Society. You can pick out their records easily because they all tend to be formatted the same with black & white covers, lots of open space, maybe a woodcut image on the front, and generally some classical content that is of little interest to me. I have a fairly large collection of them anyway, all Christmas of course, because I tend to buy most of the cheap Christmas albums I see if I don't think I have them already. But when I found this record, I didn't realize until later that it was part of this label's releases. (And as frequently happens with these things, after I recorded it for sharing, I found another copy in the archives...) I also didn't recognize the artist as being anyone I might know, but it turns out he was involved in a much later Christmas record you may have seen around, Turned On Christmas. Anyhow, this is an interesting record on many levels, so give it a listen and I think you'll enjoy it. This is Paul Freeman Conducting The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra And London Ambrosian Chorus-The Glory Of Christmas (Musical Heritage Society MHS 3652, Stereo, 1970).

1. Medley #1: Joy To The World; Jingle Bells; Away In A Manger; We Wish You A Merry Christmas
2. Medley #2: Here We Come A'Caroling (Wassail Song); O Christmas Tree (O Tannenbaum)
3. White Christmas
4. The Little Drummer Boy
5. Petersburg Sleighride
6. Hallelujah Chorus-Messiah
7. Lo, How A Rose Upspringing
8. Angels We Have Heard On High
9. Carol Of The Bells
10. Greensleeves
11. Sleighride
12. Silent Night

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. The arranger of these items is Richard Hayman, who made a lot of records for Mercury, and was the chief arranger for the Boston Pops. He also was a harmonica virtuoso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's a big name in some of those space-age pop circles. I didn't notice his name on there, so thanks for mentioning it!

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful share, thanks Ernie!

    Speaking of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, have you ever come across the 1963 LP below? It seems to have been out of print since then (seems to be an RCA Record Club release), and I've never seen it shared, or even mentioned, on any Christmas music blogs in the 15 years I've been checking in. Just curious!

    https://www.discogs.com/release/7096385-The-Royal-Philharmonic-OrchestraBeecham-Choral-SocietyAmbrosian-Singers-Peter-Knight-Joyful-And-Triu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got that LP somewhere, but never paid much attention to it. Maybe I'll take a closer look next year. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...