Thursday, December 15, 2022

Polka With Frankie

You may be tired of doing the polka with Li'l Wally, so here's a collection of polkas from the other polka-meister, Frank Yankovic. Or is it??? This album seems to give a lot of credit to someone named Joey Miskulin. His name is on the cover, he wrote most of the songs, he co-produced the album, yet Frank's name is still the one in big letters. Not sure what's going on here, and this would have been awful late in Frank's career. As the sticker on the front alludes, this LP came out right after he won a grammy for Best Polka Recording (the first such award given), but that wasn't for this record. Joey Miskulin seems to have had quite the career himself, and worked with Yankovic extensively on this and other albums. So maybe it's fair to give him credit. Anyhow, why not download this record and then you can be the judge. This is Frank Yankovic Featuring Joey Miskulin-Christmas Memories (Smash/Polygram 422-830 396-1 DJ Promotional Not For Sale, Stereo, 1986).

1. Old Fashioned Christmas Polka
2. A Christmas Wish
3. What Christmas Means To Me
4. Blue Christmas
5. Christmas Chimes
6. There'll Always Be A Christmas
7. Christmas Doll
8. Christmas Memories
9. Christmas In Europe
10. Silent Night

MEGA

3 comments:

  1. I think Miskulin was the music director of Yankovic's band late in Frankie's career. Miskulin was a well-known performer himself.

    I'd not seen this cover before. I think it depicts a scene not far from where I was born in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the cover a real place? I just figured it was a nice idea ruined with a big sticker. I saw the same sticker recently on what must have been the actual Grammy-winning LP, and it also had Miskulin's name all over it.

      Delete
    2. Well, Yankovic had a bar on E. 152nd Street, I believe. This appears to be set in the 30s, so I can't be sure of the location, but it does depict Grdina's, which was originally on St. Clair Ave., I think. Mervar's was on E. 185th Street when I was young. So I'm not sure if this is a real or composite scene.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...