Sunday, December 11, 2022

Mail Early

I found these next three records in my collection with no memory of having bought them. They probably came to me together, but I found them each in a different box, and only got them back together after some research and some ripping. It looks like someone named Sammy Watkins wrote a song and he really wanted to make it a big hit. So he kept trying and trying and trying, but I don't think it ever worked. All in all, there are five different versions of his song here, from three different records. One of them even came with a little note detailing how a French translation came about. When I first came across these records this season, I thought it was a promotional thing for the post office, but it's not. This is a real song. It's a bit of a head scratcher for me, so I'm hoping someone comes along with some more info about this interesting collection of records. Download 'em and have a listen.

1. Jon Watkins-It's One Day Closer To Christmas (Please Do Your Mailing Now)
2. Santa's Singers-It's One Day Closer To Christmas (Please Do Your Mailing Now)
3. Sammy Watkins (?)-It's One Day Closer To Christmas (Please Do Your Mailing Now) (French Version)
4. Sammy Watkins And The Mail Chorus-It's One Day Closer To Christmas (Please Do Your Mailing Now)
5. Sammy Watkins-It's One Day Closer To Christmas (Please Do Your Mailing Now)

MEGA





4 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about them but, as a former Postal Worker, I'm happy they found their way into your hands so we can all hear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stubby. I figured as a postie, you'd appreciate this one, even though I don't think it has much to do with the PO. :)

      Delete
  2. Sammy Watkins was a bandleader for many years in Cleveland. (He was best known for employing the young Dean Martin in the 1940s.) Morrey Davidson was a songwriter in Cleveland who made a living as a salesman. There is a peculiar article about Morrey here:

    https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/05/15/84-year-old-crooner-aims-for-third-album/2190421819200/

    I would guess that this is a demo designed to attract the interest of a bigger record company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so there's a Cleveland connection here. Good to know, thanks for the background, Buster! Much appreciated!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...