Monday, December 12, 2022

Green Julius

A late night post just to keep you on your toes. Julius La Rosa was a well-known member of Arthur Godfrey's troupe of TV players until a very ugly on-air spat soured things. It was all Arthur Godfrey's fault, but La Rosa suffered because of it, never becoming the big star that he might otherwise have been. He never recorded a full Christmas album, though he released quite a bit of Christmas music in his career. If you look around the blog, you'll find plenty of it scattered here and there. I've got a new addition to the cannon for you now, from an obscure single later on in his career. This is Julius La Rosa-A Christmas Gift (GP Records 7" 45 RPM GP 592, Stereo, 1981).

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. This is a great song from Julius! I think I vaguely remember finding this song on YouTube a few years ago. It is a really good number. Torrie Zito's arrangement ranks among the best ones that he did for Tony Bennett in the '60's and the '70's; in fact, as I am listening to this, I could just hear Tony's distinctive baritone singing this number. A good surprise for a pretty big LaRosa fan. I am planning to go back to some of the Christmas at 78 IA rips from him you shared earlier this year from his Arthur Godfrey days. If you noticed, Lee re-ripped his "We Need A Little Christmas" recording for MGM in 1966 over the weekend on his blog. Good to see this one with the original 45 label. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good record, but I don't think it went anywhere. He never got a big enough break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was quite a good singer. I think I had his Christmas EP, or one of them, on offer several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just took a look, but didn't see it on either blog. I'm sure I've recorded it, but I don't think I ever shared anything. He could be a good candidate for you to assemble a Christmas album. :)

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea! I had him in a comp way back when:

      https://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-with-crooners.html

      Delete
    3. That's why I couldn't find it. I searched for Julius, and you call him Julie. :) I think I have some of his stuff on a Navy promo I can give you if you decide to put something together. At least I think I do...

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...