Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Are You Ready For Some Football?

Not part of a series today (but I have shared another team in the series), this record features your favorite 1970 football players crooning along to some karaoke Christmas tracks that aren't half bad. Hard to tell one football player from another though, but it's a novel concept, and might bring a light to a football fan of a certain age. Good luck getting the complete set, I've been after them for years and so far I have two. Of course, Discogs makes that trivial if you have enough money. This is The 1970 New York Giants-Arranged, Conducted And Produced By Jacques Urbont-The Giants Sing Holiday Halftime (Manlius MAN-1090, Stereo, 1970).

1. Deck The Halls
2. Winter Wonderland
3. All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
4. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
5. A Tropical Winter
6. Let It Snow
7. Frosty The Snowman
8. Jingle Bells
9. Auld Lang Syne

MEGA

12 comments:

  1. Well, we know the Giants can't play football, so maybe they can sing. And, trust me, they weren't much better in 1970 than they are now (although I was a big Fran Tarkenton fan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole series passed me by. They don't list the participants - nor provide any photos - so you have to wonder whose warbling we are hearing. I would guess that Frantic Fran might not be among the vocal talents.

    Back in my youth (and I am pretty old), the Giants were one of the big rivals to the Paul Brown version of the Browns, my local team. They were ferocious, led by Sam Huff. But that was a decade before this record.

    Anyway, very cool artifact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think these sold well, they aren't all that common. But that's OK, they aren't all that good either. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great find! Philadelphia Eagles fans are listening to the second annual Eagles Christmas record to benefit a local charity. Glad to know football players having been belting out the Christmas cheer over all these years!
    - Steve in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a niche thing, there a more than a handful of local albums that feature local heroes singing.

      Delete
  4. Ernie, I of course have both albums, as I downloaded both from you. It makes me wonder if it's actually the team members singing or not... The duplicate tracks sound exceptionally close. What do you think, Ernie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The backing tracks are all the same, but one locker room of football players is bound to sound like the next. I've read stories out on the web of them traveling around to get the recordings.

      Delete
  5. You're something else! I didn't believe it was real. I can't help but laugh. They weren't bad in 70. Finished 9-5. Loved Ron Johnson (RB) as a kid. And who could forget a safety named Spider?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably not the same Spider that got killed by Claudine Longet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. is this where the young kids would insert a smiley face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young kids don't turn up very often at my blog...

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...