Sunday, November 26, 2023

Open Pantry Presents

OK, after giving you that last record that wasn't very good, I'll give you one that is very good and bring some balance to the Force. This is part of a short series (I only know of two others, both by the same artist) put out by Open Pantry, a grocery store chain that we don't appear to have here in Florida (they appear to have morphed into a sort of convenience store but have survived to this day). Walt Harper was a popular jazz artist around Pittsburgh that didn't leave much of a recorded legacy. This little slice of Christmas music will make you wish he'd recorded more. This is Walt Harper-Open Pantry Presents Christmas Eve With Walt Harper (Open Pantry OP-LP 100, Stereo, 1974). Enjoy!

1. Jingle Bells
2. Go Tell It On The Mountain
3. Christmas Song
4. Let It Snow, Let It Snow
5. O' Come All Ye Faithful
6. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
7. White Christmas
8. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Me
9. Silent Night
10. My Favorite Things

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. So this is the antidote to Mike Love and Paul Revere, eh? Sounds good!

    Open Pantry used to operate around these parts years ago, but not any longer, to my knowledge. I remember the sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably shouldn't have buried this one in the overnight hours, it's pretty good. I hope it finds an audience here.

      Delete
  2. This is interesting. I have a rip from someone else that clearly is stereo but a lower bitrate. This rips sounds mono to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I open the original rip in Audacity, it looks to be stereo. If I split the channels, invert one, then sum them up, there is quite a bit of difference between the two channels. Pretty sure it's stereo. I try not to play with the original audio too much, I can speak as to the other rip you may have found, but there are plenty of things you can do to make something sound more spacious.

      Delete
  3. I own (and love) this one. Kurt

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...