Friday, December 01, 2023

Advent 2

As promised, I've got another Advent calendar you can start today. I remember finding this one not too long after Christmas last year, knowing it was something I'd be sharing this season. It's a double album in a fancy box with a fold-out calendar and storybook inside where you can follow along as you listen to the stories. It's a nice package and appears to have been available exclusively at Neiman-Marcus stores during the 1977 Christmas season. I suspect most kids didn't care too much about Advent calendars after they saw Star Wars that year, and this couldn't have been too popular. I've never seen another copy, but then I can't think of where there might be a Neiman Marcus store anywhere nearby. Mala Powers wrote and narrated all the vignettes here, she was a popular actress in the 50's and 60's, though to be honest I didn't recognize the name when I bought this. She does a nice job with the stories, some of which are originals, others are adapted from seasonal stories you may be familiar with. You get one a day all the way through Christmas Eve, but nothing for Christmas, sorry. This is Mala Powers-Follow The Star-A Christmas ADVENTure (RCA Special Products 2x12" 33 RPM DML2-0262 for Neiman-Marcus, Stereo, 1977). Enjoy!

1. Follow The Star (Star Window #1)
2. The Advent Wreath (Star Window #2)
3. The Legend Of The First Christmas Tree (Star Window #3)
4. Heart's Desire (Star Window #4)
5. From St. Nicholas To Santa Claus (Star Window #5)
6. The Little Blind Shepherd (Star Window #6)
7. A Candle For Mary (Star Window #7)
8. Christian In Secret (Star Window #8)
9. The Animals' Christmas (Star Window #9)
10. A Gift For Gramps (Star Window #10)
11. The Holy Night (Star Window #11)
12. Felix (Star Window #12)
13. Christmas Customs Around The World (Star Window #13)
14. The Third Lamb (Star Window #14)
15. The Christmas Rose (Star Window #15)
16. A Christmas Gift For The General (Star Window #16)
17. Piccola (Star Window #17)
18. How Santa Claus Found The Poor House (Star Window #18)
19. Gift Of The Earth (Star Window #19)
20. The Robin (Star Window #20)
21. Why The Chimes Rang (Star Window #21)
22. Adventure To Bethlehem (Star Window #22)
23. Don Pedro's Christmas (Star Window #23)
24. The Nativity (Star Window #24)

MEGA

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting concept, sadly my family has grown out of Advent calendars, but maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most interesting item, Ernie. I just loved Advent calendars when I was a kid. Looked forward to them, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never had any such thing. But we did have a big felt calendar with felt numbers and you got to put up a new number each day until Christmas. You didn't get anything, just a chance to put a number on the calendar. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ernie,
    When this album came out in 1977, I was not even 1 year old. I have a feeling that this album must have been sold in their Christmas Book. Possibly the cheapest item they sold? Maybe they did sell it in their store also? Could it have been a gift to certain customers? But however, someone got it, I am sure it was a premium item of some sort. I find that they would have received a wonderful addition to their collection. It is, to my ears, excellent. I only wonder if it was a one-of-a-kind product or was a part of a series put out over several years. The stories are beautifully read and written.
    I am so glad you found it and shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it wasn't too cheap. I've never seen another one, so I suspect it was a fancy premium item with a high price tag. It certainly didn't sell too well. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ernie,
      Neiman-Marcus sold this item for 30.00 dollars. On the Internet Archive, their copy has the Neiman-Marcus price sticker.
      So, $30.00 in 1977 dollars = $148.81 in 2023 dollars. Ouch. But I guess if you shopped at Neiman-Marcus, it would have been just change in your pocket.

      Delete
    3. Good spot. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

      Delete
  4. Oh, the is a shop on the internet, I found last year and again this year, they sell out of print albums from various stores, clubs, etc. This Mala Powers album sells for 40 dollars. I am not sure if that is for the Album and CD together or not. You can buy them separately, but they do not guarantee the quality of the albums they sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they probably don't like me since I give away what they try to sell. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...