Wednesday, November 29, 2023

A Sweeping Saga

This share is only about half Christmas, but it's something I thought was interesting so I'll share it out here. It appears to be the soundtrack to a TV special from 1960 about the life of Christ. The first side is the one of interest here, detailing the birth of Christ. The name that stood out to me in the credits was Robert Russell Bennett, a guy who did some interesting stuff back in his day but is little remembered today, except in certain circles. He handled the musical duties here, and the narration is by Alexander Scourby. It's two side-long tracks so you'll have to carve out a little time to listen, but it's not too bad. I had ripped a mono version early in the year and had marked the stereo version on Discogs as something I wanted to pick up. Then during dinner one night, I glanced over at the record shelf near the table and a spine jumped out at me. I wandered over to pull it out and sure enough, it was a stereo copy, already in my collection. That happens too often to me, there's little to no organization in the collection. So you get the fancy stereo version tonight, though I'm sure that's not the way it was broadcast on TV back then. This is The Coming Of Christ-The Original Story And Music Of The Award Winning N.B.C. "Project XX" Television Program (Decca DL 79093, Stereo, 1961). Enjoy!

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was pretty excited to find a stereo version in the middle of dinner one night. :)

      Delete
    2. You could have worded that "middle of dinner" statement a bit better... :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...