Friday, November 25, 2022

Santa Mice

While I was recording singles for Christmas this year, I ran across a cute little song three different times, and each time there was an identical graphic thrown into the artwork, which kind of struck me as odd. Then I noticed that all three versions of the song appeared on the same label, Columbia. Now I'm really curious as to what's going on, so I did a little research. I found out the little character, Santa Mouse, was the star of a children's book written by Michael Brown (also credited with writing the song) and illustrated by Elfrieda De Witt. I believe that unique mouse graphic I spotted over and over again was by her. I haven't been able to find out much info about how the song came to be, or why it was unique to Columbia, or why they tried so hard to make it a hit. They tried with Jerry Vale, Burl Ives, and someone named Bob Morrison that I've never heard of, but he has, to my ears, the best version. I've gathered up all three singles, plus their B-sides, and put them into one handy download for you. Have a go, give it a listen, and enjoy!

MEGA


7 comments:

  1. Between Bob and Burl, the Bob Morrison version is my favorite for sure (because it’s the most unhinged) but I’m excited to hear what Jerry brings to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the writer is the Michael Brown who wrote the song "Lizzie Borden," among many other pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for bringing a new Jerry Vale Christmas tune to my attention! I thought the only Christmas tunes he did was his Christmas Greetings From Jerry Vale LP and his take on Home For the Holidays on Great Songs of Christmas Album Seven. A very whimsical and fun take on the tune, coupled with a great reverential take on "Silent Night" from the Christmas Greetings album. Does the Santa Mouse side on the Vale 45 list the arranger? To my ears it sounds like it could be frequent Vale arranger-conductor Marty Manning.

    The Burl Ives version sounds like he is trying to cash in on his Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer popularity, while the BoB Morrison version is probably the most musically exciting of the three, no doubt planned to cater to the teen audience. His vocal style sounds like a combination of two singing teen idol Bobby's: Bobby Vee and Bobby Sherman. Like the go-go-tinged beat on the Bob Morrison version. Thanks for being another "lost" Christmas gem to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Jerry Vale version is on YouTube and is in Stereo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, I told you it was good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this!! As a toddler and young child in the late '70s, Santa Mouse was "the" book we read every night before bed...still have my copy and read often to my own kids as well when they were young. Never had any idea about the song!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...