Saturday, November 26, 2022

All Day Saturday-Part 11

Next up is something I tried to avoid but wound up doing anyway. Both sides of this single are from an LP, and I really didn't want to do too much of that. But I didn't realize until it was too late. But they're good songs and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Many of you may not be familiar with the album, so be sure you check that out here. And give a listen to these two sides by The Four Lads-The Stingiest Man In Town b/w Mary's Little Boy Chile (Columbia 7" 45 RPM 4-40788 Promotion Record Not For Sale Special Christmas Release, Mono, 1956). Wait, I think I'm wrong. This B side is not on the album. I'm thinking about the single I'll share with you next...

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, crud. Gonna have to fix that this afternoon when I get home. Sorry 'bout that.

      Delete
  2. Talk about a great surprise! As a HUGE fan of the Four Lads since I was 10 years old, this is a huge surprise. Their take on "Mary's Boy Child" is not what I was expecting from them. It was as if Harry Belafonte and the Four Lads switched arrangements. That is probably Frank Busseri singing the solos. Even though it borders on novelty, the group does a great job on "The Stingiest Man in Town." Camarata's arrangement is very similar to Ray Ellis' arrangements for the group "Who Needs You", "Standing on the Corner" and "No Not Much." It is too bad that this group never recorded a full-length Christmas album; they were one of the finest vocal groups of the 1950's and one of the finest acts to come out of Canada. This is a great find! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a full-length Christmas album from these lads would be great! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...