Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Another New Lens


I broke down and bought another new lens last week. It showed up yesterday, but today was the first chance I had to shoot some pictures through it. These are the Christmas lights strung up in front of a desk at work. It's a long macro lens, so it lets me really get in tight on an object, and it throws everything behind the focal point out of focus and you get those wonderful diffuse colors in the background. I think that's called bokeh, but don't me how to pronounce it. I shot these in about five minutes after work tonight, just goofing around, and I didn't even crop them any. I love being able to shoot something so closely.  Imagine what I can do once I learn the ins and outs of this lens!


14 comments:

  1. Those are sweet. I'm using one for my holiday wallpaper on my laptop. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Those shots are cool. I tend to be more of a long lens photog (sports, wildlife etc.), but occasionally I ponder the benefits of having a macro lens. I just don't know how much I would use it. I'll look forward to seeing more posts with your new lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I should save up and get one for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all the comments... beautiful, simple (which is why it works) pictures... you are a great photographer...

    the word is pronounced bo-kay

    and they are circles of confusion (if I can be technical here)... they are out of focus points of light...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a portrait photographer, and I routinely use a 100mm macro for headshots. It's not just an up-close lens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Beautiful!!!

    Also curious as to what lens you are using :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep forgetting to reply and tell you all about the lens, although I see some smart folks have accessed the EXIF data. It's a 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I'm shooting on a crop-sensored Canon 7D, so it's quite a bit longer than 100mm in application. I'm thinking I might need something a bit wider eventually. I'm not used to shooting with a fixed focal length lens, so I keep trying to zoom in or out, and it just messes up the focus. :) It's got some full-time manual focus feature, so you can turn the ring as much as you want, it never really stops. Weird. I hope to get some more shots with the lens this weekend. We'll see. I gotta go Christmas shopping someday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ernie, I love your pictures...Christmas and otherwise. Those are just super nice.

    Chris in Cary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent photos. Happy experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ernie - sensational ... two more questions. Did you use the canon "L" lens and did you use a tripod? Thanks - terrific pictures! Dan

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...