Thursday, December 28, 2023

Jim & Tammy

One last gospel record today, or at least it's religious. I had planned a whole series of records by TV preachers this year, but I never finished most of them. Many of them weren't quite as great as I'd hoped. But here's one I did finish up, and you need to download it only so you can hear the great Tammy Faye Bakker sing. You heard her here recently doing some puppet voices, but on this record she sings it straight. This is Christmas...With Love From Jim & Tammy (PTL Club Records PTL-RLP-1824, Stereo, 1980). Even though Jim Bakker is the preacher behind this release, I don't think he actually shows up anywhere on it.

1. PTL Voices-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-Hark The Herald Angels Sing
2. Jeanne Johnson-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-Celebrate Christmas In Your Heart
3. Eric & Rosalinde AuCoin-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-Birthday Of The King
4. Vern McLellan-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-O Holy Night
5. PTL Singers-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-Medley: Carol Of The Bells/I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
6. Tammy Faye Bakker-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-O Come All Ye Faithful
7. Men With A Song-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
8. Terry & Wanda White-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-Precious Jesus
9. PTL Orchestra-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-Away In A Manger
10. Lee Robbins-Conducted By Brad Kelley & Kevin Hofer-Music Director: Thurlow Spurr-Ave Maria

MEGA

11 comments:

  1. I still have my grandmother's copy of this. They sent it to her for her "love gift."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "love gift" meant or means that the person would be assumed to be tithing or giving regularly to a church (they attend) and send a "love gift" to a ministry, like this TV Evangelist.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I figured as much. I hope the gift she gave was more than the $8.95 list the album would have cost. :)

      Delete
  2. The only place that Jim shows up on this disc, to my knowledge, is in the handwritten back cover liner notes. Cover is a silhouette of the original chapel of the-then Heritage Village Church (Heritage USA was still a few years away at the time this record was released). Got my copy in a stack of Christian albums a friend of mine gave me in 1992, when I was a young lad of 13, and I still have it. Have not come across another copy since then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida seems to be a land of such religious records. They're pretty common, though I can't speak to the commonality of any specific one. They kind of all run together in my mind...

      Delete
  3. Tammy's track is musically a combination of the sounds she made with Gary Paxton and the later "PTL Sound" that would dominate Christian television in the '80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AuCoins track has become one of my favorite versions of the song and got quite a bit of spins on my turntable this season.

      Delete
    2. I credit Thurlow Spurr with everything!

      Delete
    3. Good job with the cover scan! I wasn't sure if your equipment would pick up the steeple.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...