Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Dolls, Puppets & Toys-Part Five

Folks of a certain ago will certainly remember the artists on our next record. And I think many folks will recognize them even though they had been off the air for decades before they were born. I don't know how to explain the enduring popularity of Kukla, Fran & Ollie, but I think many people today still know of them. It's easy enough to draw a line from them to Mr, Rogers and then on to Sesame Street. If you're not familiar with them, this record is as good of an introduction as anything else, all that's missing from the show are the grainy visuals. Please enjoy Kukla, Fran And Ollie-Merry Christmas From Kukla, Fran And Ollie (Decca DL 8192, Mono, 1954). I'm giving you a couple of download options here. You can get the uncut version and listen to each side in one big track, or you can get the tracked version and listen to each individual song. Side 2 is one long track anyway that only features the creator of the show, Burr Tillstrom, reading a poem by James Thurber. It's not really Christmas but I throw it in for the sake of completeness. I've wanted this record for a long, long time and finally found a reasonably priced copy in the last year or so. Good stuff.

1. A Good, Good Boy
2. Christmas Card
3. Twelve Days Of Christmas
4. Christmas Is A Time
5. Kuklapolitan Christmas Carol Medley: Yuletide Greetings; First Noël; Joy To The World; Silent Night; Deck The Hall
6. Burr Tillstrom-Many Moons

MEGA (Tracks)

MEGA (Uncut)

4 comments:

  1. I could swear I shared this LP many years ago, but nope, no sign of it. I know I have it! So odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought you had, too. Odd. I was so happy to finally have a copy of my own. :)

      Delete
  2. They played off the idea of Zuther and his style somewhat, but a neat style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who's Zuther? An earlier puppet outfit? I figure it all goes back to Punch & Judy...

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...