Friday, December 29, 2023

Book Of Lists 6

Christmas may have come and gone, but we keep the fun and excitement going for a while longer around here. This is the last of my lists, but I'm always looking for other things to enshrine in list form. Thinking about doing all the Christmas songs about the Beatles, that should be easy. And maybe one about celebrities in general. Oh, and how about celebrities singing at Christmas? The possibilities are endless! If you have a good idea, lemme know, I'll see what I can put together. But I'm getting ahead of myself. This current list for today is a bit obscure and the Christmas content is only visible once you've put the list items together. Back in the Sixties, Capitol Records put out a sampler LP to radio stations once a month with tracks from all their new albums trying to get them to play the songs on the radio. In 1969, they put a special image of a pretty girl on the cover of each one, along with a note on the back of the album telling you to hold onto the records as they came in and put them together for a surprise. The key part of the surprise was the hippy Santa that graced the December cover (the only record with any real Christmas connection). With him as the centerpiece, you could arrange the other albums around him to see that all the pictures came together to show all the girls were gathered around Santa in a somewhat salacious gathering. Those clearly weren't elves, and none of them looked like Mrs. Santa.  It's a fun collection, but it would cost you four or five hundred bucks to put the collection together if you got all the records from Discogs. If you'd like to buy them and send them my way, I'd love to hang the set on the wall. If you don't want to spend the money, just download all the pictures from Discogs and put them together, that's what I did. I'm not going to share the full image with you, it'll be a surprise for you just like it was for those jaded disc jockeys back in the swinging sixites. Enjoy!

The List!

15 comments:

  1. I hate to harp on this, but it's still Christmas. Today is the 5th Day of Christmas. We seven more to go! šŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I’ve never seen one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you had, would you have known it was part of a larger whole?

      Delete
    2. Not unless there was some indication on the cover. I would have just considered it an awkward cheesecake photo.

      Delete
    3. I try to buy up the promo stuff like this when it's cheap, but word of this series must have gotten out long ago because I've never stumbled across a single piece. :(

      Delete
  3. If anyone's interest here's a link for the image of all the record covers put together...(-¦

    https://i.imgur.com/tkKdzQJ.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...that way you won't have to pay 4 or 5 hundred bucks...the whole picture for free...(;

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Francois - what an odd photo. Strangely non-erotic.

      Delete
  4. Every one of those young women is over 75 years old now--just to put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a youngster of 66, but I had NEVER heard of this. Incredible. And MUCH, MUCH more than MY budget would allow!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...