Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Little Disco For Your Christmas


You may think I'm all about old vinyl around here, and you'd be right. But the late seventies are now far enough in the past to count as old. And that means disco! Here is the first of several disco Christmas records I've shared out over the years that I want to revisit today. The problem with many of these Christmas disco records is that they are often the same. And I don't just mean they sound the same. They often feature the same performances by the same people, just re-titled and re-sleeved. But I'm going to try and avoid that problem today. I'm going to start with this share from 2007 that I don't think has the reissue problem. This is Disco Belles-Tis The Night To Disco (51 West (CBS) Q 16080, Stereo, 1979). Enjoy!

1. Winter Wonderland
2. The Twelve Days Of Christmas
3. Jingle Bells
4. Sleigh Ride
5. The Little Drummer Boy
6. O Tannenbaum
7. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
8. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
9. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
10. Auld Lang Syne

Note-This was originally two mixed sides, but I cut it into tracks for convenience sake. Any abrubt edits are my fault.

2 comments:

  1. I loves me Christmas disco ... which is odd because I'm not a fan of plain old disco.

    I'm also not an expert so I stand to be corrected ... but on the basis of listening to just one song, Winter Wonderland, I'm going to say that Disco Belles, Holiday People, Mirror Image, Mistletoe Disco Band and Roller Disco Orchestra are the same music repackaged by different labels with different band names.

    I'm sure there's more ... I have a generic CD bought many, many, MANY years ago that I think is the same (thus my fondness for the sound) ... I saw someone suggest the "new" D.J. Santa & The Dance Squad is this same body of work repackaged yet again.

    Still, ya gotta love them. The artwork and names gives you a "larger selection" for making comps as long as you don't use the same song twice.

    And, as far as I can tell, there's lots of other disco that is different ... well, as different as disco gets ... French Champagne, Irwin The Disco Duck, Montana Orchestra, Moonlion, P.K. And The Sound Explosion, Raindolls, Salsoul Orchestra, Santa's Disco Band, Snowflake and Universal Robot Band seem to be different ... YMMV

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...