Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Just For The Cover

I'm afraid there's no share here for this record.  Even if I had found it with a record in the sleeve, it's the sort of stuff you can find easily enough anywhere fine music is sold.  It didn't come with a record though, but I love the collection of cars and cuties on the cover.  And, most interestingly to Christmas collectors, that Santa shot in the lower right, the only one without a car, was used the following year on a double album collection of Jackie Gleason's Christmas music.  If you look close, I believe the same model is featured in a few of the other pictures.  Anybody want to put a name to the face?  I couldn't find any attributions on the sleeve.  Collections like this were sent out monthly by Capitol Records for years and years as a way for DJs to be introduced to new records that either just came out or would be out soon.  Some of them, like this one, just featured songs, while others featured entire radio shows with songs and interviews.  (I shared out one last year with Tennessee Ernie Ford and Roger Wagner on it.  Cool stuff.) Anyhow, back to this one.  It was in horrible shape and I had to clone a lot of tape off the front and back cover.  You can still see some traces of it in the lettering on the back, but I think I did a pretty good job.  Now I need to go into the archives and see if I can rebuild this collection from my own vinyl.  This is The Capitol Disc Jockey Album-December 1968 (Capitol SPRO 4656/4657, Stereo, 1968).

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...