Thursday, December 27, 2018

A New Christmas Carol

An interesting little 7" record, and not only because it spins at 78 RPM.  It's a Christmas song written by noted film composer Dimitri Tiomkin and originally gifted (or sold) to readers of Woman's Home Companion, a magazine that would only survive another four years.  I had two copies of the record, neither of which was in great shape.  I was surprised when I looked it up at Discogs to find that it originally came with a card-like sleeve.  Wish I had all that to share with you, but you can look at it over there.  All you can do here is listen to Jill Corey, Orchestra And Chorus Under The Direction Of Jimmy Carroll-The First Christmas b/w Silent Night (Women's Home Companion 7" 78 RPM Microgroove Z P 49863/4, Mono, 1953). I think that's fair.  This kind of reminded me of that promo record for Country Living magazine I shared last year with Bing Crosby and The Lennon Sisters. There should be a good link for that one in the comments if you're interested.

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. I love promos (as you know). I would be even more jealous if you had the cover and other paraphernalia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Excellent sound, and I was going to ask if you used an LP needle, but you answered that at Discogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to do my part by adding notes and entries and details at Discogs when I can. Plenty of stuff isn't even there, but it's pretty time consuming to create a new entry over there. Maybe when the season is over...

    ReplyDelete
  4. as is so often the case, the idea of it is better than the actual music.



    i know, i know. hey, somebody has to bring the myrrh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT!!!
    Please Ernie more sharing like this!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...