Thursday, April 16, 2009

More Malcolm


I mentioned a month or so ago that I had stopped to take some pictures of a giant book, and here it is. You thought I was kidding, didn't you? You'll learn to listen to me someday. It's actually three giant books, one balanced atop the other two, and it's a sculpture by artist Malcolm Robertson called Open Book Gateway. You saw another piece here just recently by this same artist (the giant shell called Shell). This one sits in front of a branch library, appropriately enough, here in Sarasota.

There are languages of all sorts on here, but I think they all repeat just a couple of phrases.

It's a little tough to read above, it may be easier to read the shadow below. It says "In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back"-Schulz (Peanuts). How appropriate. If I remember correctly, on one side it attributes this to Charles Schulz, not just Schulz. I'm sure that was an artistic decision, not a mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...