Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Curious Heron


Little did I know when I set out this evening to shoot the sunset that I wouldn't get a single shot of the sun setting. Nor did I know it was going to be such a good day for birds. I was on City Island, just off-shore from Sarasota proper, hanging out near the boat ramp where there is a small rookery. This great blue heron was down in the mangroves, only a foot or so above the water. Normally, that would be in the dark, but with the low sun behind me, he was well illuminated. In fact, he was too well illuminated. The background was dark, and I had to manually adjust the camera to get a good exposure. But I think I did OK. He's got an eye cast upward because there was a ruckus in a nest up above him. They were making lots of noise, and I guess he's just trying to see what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...