Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Name Is Ibis


As I was on my way back to the car after what I have to say was an amazingly productive hour or two of shooting, I spotted this juvenile white ibis grooming himself in a tree. He squawked at me quite a bit, but he stayed put as I took his picture for a few minutes. As he gets a little older, he'll loose most of the dark colored feathers in his plumage, until he's almost all white. I think they have some black feathers under their wings as adults, but you can really only see them when they are flying overhead. There's also a black version of this species, called the glossy ibis, but you don't see them as much. I think they may actually be non-native. And this may or may not come as a surprise, but the black ones don't hang out with the white ones, at least not that I've ever seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...