Friday, April 17, 2009

An Unknown Soldier


I think I mentioned in an earlier post that many of the cities in the South have a memorial to their dead from the Civil War. I suspect that many cities in the North are the same way, but I haven't visited too many of them Anyhow, I came across this picture from Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta that I took earlier this year, and it sort of fits in with that. It's the Lion of Atlanta, a monument to "Unknown Confederate Dead", perhaps a fitting memorial in a cemetery that is filled with many graves of both known and unknown Confederate dead.

Not far from the lion is The Confederate Obelisk, an earlier monument to all those who died in the war. I believe the date on there is correct, 1873, which means this was erected less than ten years after the war was ended. Notice that there is no Confederate battle flag on the flagpole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...