Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Mansion I Mentioned


I shared a picture of a cannon being fired off the other day, and I mentioned it was in front of the Gamble Mansion. Then I realized you hadn't seen any pictures of the Gamble Mansion here at the blog. So I made it a point to get up today and head out there for a little while and shoot some pictures. This is the Gamble Mansion, originally part of a much larger sugar plantation along the Manatee River near present-day Ellenton, FL. Since a major restoration effort in 1937, I believe, this has been part of the Judah P. Benjamin Memorial at Gamble Plantation Historic State Park. That's quite the mouthful. Judah P. Benjamin was the Confederate Secretary of State, and lived here briefly after the Civil War while awaiting escape to England. And the house is the only surviving antebellum mansion in the Southern part of Florida. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

1 comment:

  1. this pic is a shot of the water cistern. I was interested in it when we saw the grounds. florida is a very dry place in early spring and saving water even then was a must.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...