Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Tip-Top-Again


Last year, I showed you some pictures of the very top of the Washington Monument, shot from the ground with my old camera and lens. Well, for this trip to DC, I had my new 7D and a 100-400 L series zoom, which means I've got more pixels and more reach. So I'm back to the top of the monument.

If you look close at this shot, you can see people and their cameras in the windows at the top of the monument. I didn't go up there this time, because they give all the tickets away too fast, but I did make it up there last time, and I shared my shots here, here and here.

Now, as for the very tip, there it is. You can see the multiple gold-plated lightning rods that surround the original aluminum capstone. From the ground, you can't really see any of this. You can also see some of the wires running down the edges of the stones, also with small lightning rods on them. As the highest point in DC, this thing attracts a lot of lightning.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I was told that there is an inscription on the top of the monument LAUS DEO, meaning Praise Be to God and that from the top you can see a cross, which was intentional created that way. Next time your up that way would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...