Sunday, April 18, 2010

I See Stars


One of the features of the World War II Memorial in DC is a long wall on the West side called The Freedom Wall. It is decorated with 1048 stars, each of which represents 100 Americans who died during the conflict. It's pretty cool, and I like the way it seems to look different depending on the scale.

The closer you get, the more detail there is.

Notice how the stars aren't all smooth and identical.  I'm sure they aren't all different, but in a tight shot like this, I don't see any identical versions.  Perhaps they roughed them all up after they were cast but before they were mounted, just to insure they all looked a little different.  Maybe it's just me, but I like it. I personally think the rest of the memorial is a little overbearing. It's too big, too spread out, sorta like they just threw every little bit of symbolism and iconography they could think of at it, and everything stuck. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...