Saturday, December 12, 2009

Used Music From 2007


Two years ago, back in the heyday that was 2007, I made a compilation for you over the Thanksgiving-Christmas sharity season. One track a day for 31 days. I don't know now how I did it, trying to get all of my album shares up, plus a track a day for this (and a track a day for a second comp that I hope to reshare soon). I think there must have been two of me back then. Anyhow, I dug out an old hard drive today to see if I could find this collection, and sure enough, there it was. And surprise, surprise, there was the Photoshop file I'd created as a cover! I thought I'd lost that in the big hard drive crash. It's not much of a cover, but it's a nice idea. I cribbed most of it from this old share (which reminds me, I should reshare that album out...). I did have to find little pictures of all those artists and add them in. Let me see if I can remember who I put in there... From the upper left, I think that's Les Baxter, Peggy Lee, The Lennon Sisters, Marlene Dietrich, Claudine Longet, Dorothy Collins...Second row, Danny Kaye, Tex Ritter and The Ames Brothers. Third row, Wait, that's Les Baxter, Patti Page, Bing Crosby. And the bottom row-Jerry Collona, Fred Waring, Anita Kerr and Maurice Chevalier. So who's that upper left? Oh, Les Brown. Now, if you want some bonus points, tell me where I found all those pictures. No, really, tell me, 'cause I forgot! Anyhow, click on any of the names in the tracklist below and it will take you to the day I shared that track and tell you a little bit about it. All of the songs were pulled from old vinyl compilations put together and sold by various department stores or tire companies, grocery stores, records labels, etc. That's why I called it a compilation compilation. Actually, the full official name is Used Music-The Thrift Store Christmas Compilation Compilation (Ernie (Not Bert) 2007). Enjoy! Hmmm, figures. I've got Deck The Halls on here twice, as well as We Three Kings. I don't think I could put together a proper comp if my life depended on it.

The Sanborn Singers-Jingle Bells
Les Baxter Orchestra And Chorus-Hang Your Wishes On The Tree
Sandler & Young-Mister Santa
Peggy Lee-Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
Danny Kaye-Deck The Halls (With Boughs Of Holly)
Debbie Reynolds-There's No Place Like Home
Claudine Longet-Snow
The Glad Singers-We Three Kings Of Orient Are
The Ed Sullivan Orchestra-I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
The Mills Brothers-You Don't Have To Be A Santa Claus
Patti Page-'Twas The Night Before Christmas
George Melachrino-Fairy On The Christmas Tree
The Beneficial Singers-Joyous Christmas
Marlene Dietrich-Little Drummer Boy
Dorothy Collins-Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Red Foley-Frosty The Snowman
Bing Crosby-Christmas Dinner Country Style
Fred Waring-White Christmas
Walter Carlos-Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring
Ed Kinney-The Twelve Days Of Christmas
Les Brown-We Wish You The Merriest
Maurice Chevalier-Jolly Old St. Nicholas
The Ames Brothers-Good King Wenceslas
The Lennon Sisters-Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Jerry Colonna-Too Fat For The Chimney
Tex Ritter-Ole Tex Kringle
Les Paul & Mary Ford-The Christmas Song
The New Sounds Of Christmas-We Three Kings
The Anita Kerr Singers-God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
The New Christy Minstrels-Anderson: Sleighride
Douglas Leedy-Deck The Hall

4 comments:

  1. What a great cover! And the music looks good too. Thanks for resharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I was hoping this one hadn't expired! Would love to get this if you ever get around to re-re-sharing. Thanks for everything you do. You really make the holiday season more exciting for us music lovers. I love stopping by the blog each day leading up to Christmas! In the past few years it's become a new holiday tradition of mine. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you have to look in the comments...

    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c4f12xc65m5c4cc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ernie! Can't wait to hear this.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...