Tuesday, July 24, 2007

At The Park


The southern end of The Embarcadero is AT&T Park, home of the SF Giants. I'm not a big baseball fan, but I took some pictures nonetheless. Several years ago, there was a VISA commercial where a couple of guys head out to the ballgame, only they go in kayaks. They paddle out in the water and wait for fly balls to head their way. Turns out that this is the field in question. San Francisco Bay is only a long home run from the home plate. Look close at the white neon behind the AT&T sign above, and you can see it's meant to represent a ball splashing down into the bay.

The statue above is supposed to be Willie Mays, I think. Like I said, I'm not a baseball fan. But you can see the water behind him. Like I said, the water is close by.

I can never resist a giant Coke bottle. I think this one spit out fire or carbonation or something during the game. It was pretty quiet while I was around.

Last but not least, before we leave the ball field, here's another sculpture. I think this one is supposed to be Willie Mays, too, but I'm even less sure about this one than the other one. Maybe it's Reggie Jackson? David Wells? Who knows... Again, you can tell how close we are to the water, with the marina in the background.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ernie
    The statue in the picture is actually Juan Marichal, a pitcher. There is also a Willie Mayes statue around there somewhere.
    Tom (noisycrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willie MAYS. Ugh, I can't spell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How you been, Noisycrow? Haven't seen you around since last Christmas? Hope you're enjoying the Christmas in July stuff.

    I remember seeing a plaque with Willie Mays on it, but not a whole statue. I guess I just assumed the big statue was him, too. My bad.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...