Saturday, January 06, 2024

Tijuanabee Three

Next up is another LP credited to The Mexicali Brass. No idea who they are, but they made some festive Christmas music. I've seen a couple different versions of this record, all featuring the same cover but with slightly shorter track listings. Far as I can tell, this is the version with all the tracks. At least one of the others is still called Winter Wonderland, but omits that track for some reason. Budget labels live in a strange world. For what it's worth, this is a remaster of something I first shared back in 2006. Please download and enjoy The Mexicali Brass-Winter Wonderland (Crown CST-545, Stereo).

1. Winter Wonderland
2. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
3. Skiers Holiday
4. Winter Carnival
5. Snow Flakes
6. Sleigh Ride
7. Singing Sleigh Bells
8. Go Tell It On The Mountain
9. Jolly Snow Man
10. Skater's Waltz

MEGA

17 comments:

  1. More suitable content on this one, excepting the generic songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made a quick comparison between both versions. Older one has two more track (Flight of the Bumblebee and Snowman Polka) Also, the newer one doesn't have the counting off at the start of each song. Thanks again for all your hard work and great selections of X-Mas music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What other version? Don't know anything about a longer version, only the shorter version omitting the title track.

      Delete
  3. Good to see an original 10-track version of this album! I found a pristine 9-cut (ala Pickwick) version of this album back in April, and the few cuts I played from it this season were pretty good. I used to think these Mexicali Brass LP's were the eptiome of "Cheap", however, now I am finding some great gems that I have missed the first time around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Budget Labels live in a strange world." You and Lee could easily compare notes! Lee often rants about how crazy the cheapos could occasionally be in the essays for his blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee does this sort of thing better than I do when it comes to budget vinyl.

      Delete
  5. Winter Carnival is a good one that I might play all season long. The title cut, missing on my copy, is very good and was well worth the wait. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about making a comp of all the original songs on these things, but when you remove them from the surrounding classics, they loose a lot of their Christmas flavour.

      Delete
    2. did enjoy hearing the title cut, which is not on my copy of the LP.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post-25th day of fun that's right up my alley! I didn't have this one already.
    BTW, I've changed the name of my existing Tijuana holiday playlist to "Herb Alpert & The Tijuanabees" in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could fill in a gap in your collection. :)

      Delete
  7. I do like that name "Tijuanabees" myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had coined the phrase, but Google returned a 2013 usage in a forum somewhere. Hard to be original...

      Delete
  8. http://www.teddyphillipsorchestra.com/teddy-phillips.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, news to me. I wish they'd documented that claim a bit better. I don't see any evidence to back it up, but maybe.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...