Friday, January 05, 2024

Book Of Lists 7

I think I said I was done with the lists at Discogs last week, but I thought of a good new one and finished populating it yesterday. I searched through and found all the records that feature either a song or voice greeting for the Marine Corp Toys For Tots promotion. I'm sure you remember hearing these songs as bonus tracks on the Ultra Lounge Christmas Cocktails CDs, as well as comps by Nat King Cole and Peggy Lee. But there are also versions of the song out there by Red Simpson, Vic Damone, Nancy Wilson & Tennessee Ernie Ford. And the great Buck Owens wrote a different song with the same title that he recorded as well. (Actually, I don't know if the Red Simpson song is the same as the others above, the Buck version, or something entirely different...) All those songs came out on the Capitol label and many of the records also feature voice greetings from different artists. Later on, Warner Brothers started releasing large collections of voice greetings, though as near as I can tell, the only music they contained was a version of the standard theme as performed by a Marine band. I'd love to get my hands on all of these records, but they're pretty rare and the ones that are available on Discogs are pretty pricey. If you've got some you wanna share, drop me a line. I've also added a single with the same title that I don't think has anything to do with the program, but I haven't heard it. And I linked to a Beach Boys bootleg that has some radio spots on it. I couldn't find an actual record from back in the day that featured that, so who knows where those came from.  Anyhow, give the list a look and let me know what I need to add.

The List

7 comments:

  1. Really enjoying all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what you do when you can't find some records. You make a list of records. :)

      Delete
  2. I'll have to look to see what I have, but I am fairly sure there's the Buck Owens-Nancy Wilson record, maybe another. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see which ones I have copies of, and which ones have been released. I think the Buck one was on one of his recent Christmas collections. Not sure I've heard Tennessee Ernie or Vic Damone. And I'm sure I don't have all those greetings. Les Baxter would be the one I'd like to have.

      Delete
    2. I have some greetings on 45 (somewhere) that I've never transferred, also on a 16-inch transcription. Locked grooves are a big deterrent.

      I checked the 45 box and I have the Nat King Cole Toys for Tots, but nothing to add to your list!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, locked grooves can be a pain. But at least once it's done, it's done. :)

      Delete
  3. Jonathan, Thanks for the comment, but I can't support blogs like that which share out Christmas music from CD. I try to stick to stuff that you can't go to Amazon and buy, that site it just a laundry list of popular music. :(

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...