Sunday, December 31, 2023

It's Alive 1

For your New Year's Eve listening pleasure, I've got a series of Living Christmas Tree records today. If you're not familiar with such a things, it's when a choir is performing on a giant stand that's shaped like a Christmas tree and they're frequently holding candles to simulate lights on the tree. I've got dozens and dozens of similar records in the archives, but I've just got a few of them to share with you today. This first one is Charlotte Choral Society-Music From "The Singing Christmas Tree" (Arthur Smith Studios 5-5198, Stereo). Enjoy!

1. Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming
2. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
3. God Is With Us
4. In Dulci Jubilo
5. The Three Kings
6. Why Thus Cradled Here?
7. Hushing Carol
8. Glory To God In The Highest
9. Carol Of The Bells
10. Brother John's Noel
11. The Sleigh
12. Susan Belle
13. Mary Had A Baby
14. The First Noel
15. Away In A Manger
16. Silent Night

MEGA

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping the party going. Have a Happy New Year's eve (Keekkringle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have dozens of these things? The whole concept seems dangerous.

    Anyway, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The covers of these albums amuse me to no end but I don’t think I’ve ever actually listened to one of them! Until now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if it would be more dangerous to be the person at the top of the "tree" or one of them at the bottom. You might be able to get away if the thing collapses if you're at the bottom, but you might not have any warning. Tough call...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As James brown once said, This bandstand wasn't double bolted! That's when the trouble starts...

      Delete
  5. I grew up around attending "Living Christmas Tree" and as an adult, I was also a tenor/baritone/soloist in one, plus in choirs... in a regular setting. I loved it so much. I have tried to collect as many of these types of albums as possible :) Again, you are amazing, Ernie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was the scaffolding as scary as it looks? That's a lot of weight on the Christmas tree shape.

      Delete
    2. Ernie, the scaffolding was definitely scary. The Singing Christmas Tree, that I was in was in a town (so quite a bit smaller), but there were at least 4 layers... The Sopranos, Altos, Tenors, and Bass. When I sing solo, I can go a range from high tenor thru baritone, into bass. I prefer baritone, when singing solo, but most choirs are too small, to have a baritone section.
      Needless to say, even this rather small tree was somewhat scary. By the year 2000... a lot of churches had stopped having Singing Christmas Tree Choirs.
      I was once in a Pentecostal Church, in Edmonton... to see their Tree... I had to sit in the "Nose Bleed section" of the balcony... to watch it. Of course, the tree was a lot larger.

      Delete
    3. I'm sure it makes for an impressive Christmas show, no matter the size, as long as the singing is good. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...