Monday, January 01, 2024

Roger This

It's taken half a day, but I'm back with another share for you on this New Year's Day. And wouldn't you know it, it's another LP from Roger Williams. This record came out a little earlier than that last one and is in mono, as was the style at the time. Lots of tracks here were reprised on that second album, but this one is still worth a listen. This is Roger Williams Plays Christmas Songs (Kapp KL-1042, Mono, 1956). Again, this one features a couple different covers in the download, and I am sure there are more out there, I just don't own them.

1. White Christmas
2. Jingle Bells
3. Toyland
4. Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)
5. Winter Wonderland
6. Silver Bells
7. Oh, Christmas Tree
8. Deck The Halls; Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
9. Silent Night
10. Oh, Holy Night
11. Joy To The World; It Came Upon A Midnight Clear; Sanctissima
12. We Three Kings Of Orient Are; The First Noel
13. Away In A Manger; Angels We Have Heard On High
14. Lo, How A Rose E'Er Blooming; Little Town Of Bethlehem; Oh, Come Little Children
15. Jesu
16. Hark The Herald Angels Sing; Adeste Fideles

MEGA

12 comments:

  1. Kapp had the foresight to keep changing their covers so you would keep buying each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Ernie (and Meredith too)!
    I've always liked this cover in its simplicity. The candle's cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very innovative use of wrapping paper! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. I guess you had this one ready when I asked about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps. :) I like to have full sets of things. Just a touch of the OCD.

      Delete
  4. Found this one in 2020 and kept it for a couple of years before I purged it. Just a little too Easy Listening for my taste. The remastered Christmas Time is slightly more livelier and has more of the "Roger Williams Sound" than this one in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the addition of an orchestra helps a lot. Solo piano is hard to listen to for a whole album, in my humble opinion, no matter how well executed. Same with the carillon albums.

      Delete
  5. This is a unique Roger Williams, as it sounds more classical and yet jazzy at other times. It also doesn't have an orchestra accompanying him. Interesting, to hear him solo. Thank you Ernie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, much more minimal. I prefer the album with the added orchestra. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...