Friday, January 05, 2024

Floyd (Not Pink)

When I first pulled this record out of the stacks, I thought it was a reissue of his 60's album on RCA, but when I got the two records together and compared the tracklisting, I quickly discovered I was wrong. Even though they share the same name, this LP is a newer and different recording from the classic RCA version. And if the name Floyd Cramer doesn't ring a bell with you, this is a piano player that showed up on many of the country records of the 60's and 70's. If Chet Atkins put a guitar lick on it, then Floyd Cramer put a piano piece on it. And for you Christmas listening (next year maybe), this is Floyd Cramer-We Wish You A Merry Christmas (Step One Records SOR-0051, Stereo, 1989)

1. (Intro-We Wish You A Merry Christmas) I'll Be Home For Christmas
2. Medley: Let It Snow, Let It Snow; Sleigh Ride
3. Medley: Silver Bells; Winter Wonderland; Up On The Housetop; Jingle Bells
4. (Intro-Here Comes Santa Claus) Medley: Santa Claus Is Coming To Town; Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer; Frosty The Snowman
5. (Intro-Jolly Old St Nicholas) Jingle Bell Rock
6. Medley: The Christmas Song; Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas; White Christmas
7. Medley: Silent Night; Away In The Manger; It Came Upon A Midnight Clear; The First Noel
8. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
9. Medley: Joy To The World; O Little Town Of Bethlehem; Hark The Herald Angels Sing
10. We Three Kings
11. Medley: Deck The Halls; O Come All Ye Faithful
12. O Holy Night

MEGA

16 comments:

  1. I had no idea he had a second Christmas album! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't help that it has the same title as his first.

      Delete
  2. Also I keep forgetting to mention how much I have been enjoying your blog post titles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ernie, what is next years listening? For me, even though i still have many albums to go through to listen to, this one gets played right away, well, on Saturday 01, 06, 2024. No wasting time on hearing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may go back to the singles pile next year. At least that's what I'm thinking now, but next season is a long way away.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Ernie, I didn't know this existed either. I like Floyd Cramer's style of piano playing. I look forward to listening to this.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I think it was mail order only, probably didn't sell very well.

      Delete
  6. And, if you noticed, it is a different record company than RCA! Quite a few veteran Country acts who were past their prime recorded for Step One. Got to check a copy of Billboard's Hot Country Singles to supply a list. I think Faron Young could be one of those artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was this one that came with a catalog of music on that label. (Is there a scan in the download?) And there was another Christmas release on this label earlier in the season. I meant to mention it, but forgot.

      https://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2023/12/audiographed-part-3.html

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this Ernie! Big fan of his first album. Great find - nice to hear him later in his career
    - Steve in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess no one else knew of this record either. Surprised it caught so much attention.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...